Bullet spin, spin/ball release.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 21, 2020
21 minutes ago
Hello,
My daughter is a 12u pitcher. We are pitching IR. My daughter used to have a beautiful 12-6 spin. Now it is the dreaded bullet spin for about 8 months.. She has also stalled in her speed growth. Any suggestions on how to get her to have better awareness of her hand/ fingers. Or release point.
She has a great work ethic but is getting frustrated when trying to fix this because she can’t feel it or doesn’t know how to or what is Causing it. How do I get her to stay behind the ball.

Myself not ever playing softball. I struggle
To correct her . Maybe someone with a trained eye could see this better?

Last edited:
Those videos happen to fast for me to comment on her form. So I will give you my perspective on your situation because I was in the same situation once. Every pitch myDD threw was bullet spin but we kept focusing on mechanics and trying to throw different pitches. Which was basically same pitch different spin. Two years later bullet spin hardly ever shows up. As far as speed every pitcher has a maximum speed they can reach from proper form and ability. So once they max out from proper form you have to wait for them to grow. My experience is even if they work out a lot There is very little speed increase. My DD is gaining about 2 mph per year as is some other top pitchers in our area. But when a growth spurt hits so does speed. Focus on form and accuracy the speed will come as she gets older.

Sep 19, 2018
Not a pitching coach. Just a dad. Have you tried the lock it in and 9:00 drills. See if she can get the correct spin when isolated?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
There are some great shots in the I/R in the Classroom sticky thread under Softball Pitching pages 1 & 2 that may help her get the feeling.

Aug 20, 2017
21 minutes ago
Hello,
My daughter is a 12u pitcher. We are pitching IR. My daughter used to have a beautiful 12-6 spin. Now it is the dreaded bullet spin for about 8 months.. She has also stalled in her speed growth. Any suggestions on how to get her to have better awareness of her hand/ fingers. Or release point.
She has a great work ethic but is getting frustrated when trying to fix this because she can’t feel it or doesn’t know how to or what is Causing it. How do I get her to stay behind the ball.

Myself not ever playing softball. I struggle
To correct her . Maybe someone with a trained eye could see this better?

if anyone has any suggestions I appreciate

Does she typically miss inside to a right handed batter?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Bulletspin gets no respect but it is not so bad and actually quite common. In the Powerdrive video shown above Amanda S is throwing bulletspin. If you look at the ball after she releases it you can plainly see the bulletspin. So don't go crazy trying to 'fix' it. A popular fastball spin is half topspin and half bulletspin.

Bulletspin happens in 2 ways. In the first the palm faces third base and the ball rolls off the fingers, it is like a football spiral thrown underhand. The second is demonstrated by Amanda S. The palm faces forward, the ball rolls off the index finger, between that finger and the thumb. The second way is more common. Sometimes you see version which is a combination of both methods.

I have a dog toy that I use to teach basic spins. For topspin the ends of the toy/football should point toward 1st and 3rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi