Bullet spin, spin/ball release.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
My daughter plays 12u for Birm. Thunderbolts 07. When we switched to Tincher Pitching, it was amazing for her movement and spin. Then she grew...haha... puberty and this age is grueling until they stop growing. I also played, but didn't pitch, so I understand your frustration. Tincher is amazing, but you have to be okay with change going into it. They are constantly evaluating what is best and most productive through science and the body. They work with Andrews Institute and track player movements, muscles, maximizing certain muscles and movements, etc. All are supposed to, first keep the pitcher healthy, and also to develop speed and movement. Recently, many of the tincher instructors went to a different arm motion. It made a massive difference on my daughter's spin. I would look into it. Follow the Tincher facebook page. They recently did some live videos with instructors. Now, instead of ball to 2nd base on the backswing, mine uses ball up/elbow to 2nd base. It helps keep her elbow in the slot and the spin is far better. Her riseball has nearly perfect 12-6 spin again. She has been the youngest on her team as she's almost an 08 and often plays up vs 14s. She has to have spin and movement to compete with such great hitters. So glad to see you wanting her spin to be great!!!!!! Keep working!

So palm to the catcher now instead of palm to second base? Not sure I understand. Either way still has the elbow pointed toward second base. Sounds like you are saying before the back of her hand was facing the catcher but now the ball is facing the catcher with the hand behind the ball?

Sep 19, 2018
So palm to the catcher now instead of palm to second base? Not sure I understand. Either way still has the elbow pointed toward second base. Sounds like you are saying before the back of her hand was facing the catcher but now the ball is facing the catcher with the hand behind the ball?

yes. I believe it is for girls that are having issues with locking their elbow. The girl who's lesson is before my dd was a long time HE pitcher. She's switched to tincher this fall. Our coach has her like this, with a good bit of bend in the arm during backswing. She had my dd play with it, but did not stick with it. The coach would like my DD to get a little more bend in the arm as well.

Feb 15, 2017
Very interesting. Will have DD give that a try. We have used the “cocked” wrist at times to get her to feel a loose wrist but no pronating the forearm 180 degrees as you are suggesting. Has me at least intrigued enough to try it. As pointed out above I use alot of these cues “pull the elbow” “whippy” and “whip it like a Nike sign”. We have done alot of knee drills over the years that has given DD a good grasp of brush and whip but as she hits growth spurts those things need tuning up from time to time. Can always use more spin though!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Yukiko Ueno's continual turning of the ball from the backswing to 9 oclock is quite interesting. Turns into a dance with her glove hand :whistle:

- Yukiko Ueno

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
View attachment 17228
Look at the thumb orientation of Amanda Scarbrough and check your DDs
They are two different pitches, a rise-ball, and a fastball. People will argue the issue here, but the wrist cock and spin orientation are, or should be already established at the 9:00 position. If the forearm is twisting from 9:00 to release, then how do you keep from imparting bullet-spin on a rise-ball or drop-ball? I should have written, a any contrary spin.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
They are two different pitches, a rise-ball, and a fastball. People will argue the issue here, but the wrist cock and spin orientation are, or should be already established at the 9:00 position. If the forearm is twisting from 9:00 to release, then how do you keep from imparting bullet-spin on a rise-ball or drop-ball?
Great question. I don't have a clue but am anxiously waiting for answers.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Bulletspin gets no respect but it is not so bad and actually quite common. In the Powerdrive video shown above Amanda S is throwing bulletspin. If you look at the ball after she releases it you can plainly see the bulletspin. So don't go crazy trying to 'fix' it. A popular fastball spin is half topspin and half bulletspin.

Bulletspin happens in 2 ways. In the first the palm faces third base and the ball rolls off the fingers, it is like a football spiral thrown underhand. The second is demonstrated by Amanda S. The palm faces forward, the ball rolls off the index finger, between that finger and the thumb. The second way is more common. Sometimes you see version which is a combination of both methods.

I have a dog toy that I use to teach basic spins. For topspin the ends of the toy/football should point toward 1st and 3rd.

Savanah Lloyd is Amanda's protege', but Savanah is one of the best pitching coaches out there. I was excited to find out she was in Croatia at the same time I was doing a clinic in Europe. She was convinced to come there and do a pitching clinic for the coaches. She is a favorite! She has a bullet spin on her fastball.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Savanah Lloyd is Amanda's protege', but Savanah is one of the best pitching coaches out there. I was excited to find out she was in Croatia at the same time I was doing a clinic in Europe. She was convinced to come there and do a pitching clinic for the coaches. She is a favorite! She has a bullet spin on her fastball.

I hope there is more than one Savanah Lioyd teaching pitching because I found this;

And it made me wince.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
The ball is coming off of her index finger. Or as one coach said, "between her thumb and index finger". One trick I use is have her curl her index finger almost like throwing a rise-ball, forcing the release off of her middle finger. If she is big enough you can also have her just spread the index finger wider until she gets into proper habits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi