Building a hitter from scratch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Did I insult you somehow or are you just generally a disagreeable jerk to people you don't know?

Yes and yes.....also I'm a jerk to even people I know.
I thought I gave you good information. I can't help it if you didn't understand.
Now go hold a hockey stick.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pitcher, SS, CF, LF, 2nd stand up to plate... feet 16" apart. (slapper prospects) w/open, squared, or closed stance. Start out open

Catcher, 3rd, 1st, RF stand up to plate.... feet 32" apart ...

Why does a player's defensive position determine their feet spacing when batting??? Totally baffled by this...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Wouldn't the fact that these girls are not experienced and are way behind give the impression that they aren't skilled at any of these positions and so, comparisons between "typical players" and these players can not be drawn? Instead, and I'll finish my activity in this thread with this comment, learn the swing. Teach the swing. Not some quick fix or shortcut approach to the swing. Once you have a foundation of what a high level swing is, you can then coach it. Naturally, these players won't be able to demonstrate that swing initially. Still building a foundation on those skill sets will benefit the players and coach over time. JMHO! CoachJD, good luck with all of this. Please enjoy the opportunity to work with these ladies and know that it will take patience. All development in my life has involved two steps up and one step back and so, it will take time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just an exsample... He has 3-4 girls to teach... we have no video. If we knew what they going to play, it would be something to go on.

By using the defensive position, we can kinda see where to start them out as... Pitcher is used to covering ground... Catcher is used to staying planted no movement to receive.

catcher & corners I lumped together...???usually??? bat 3,4,5.... Power Hitters. You get slappers from first group Speed, to play the position, speed to run the bases.

I'm guessing you start them out stride or no stride... build their confidence & stats, then bring them all towards the hybrid... EliteSwing ????

I've seen far too many examples to the contrary to judge a young hitter by what position she plays.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Rotational vs Linear Swing Techniques

This really helped me see the difference in "rotational and linear" thinking, though I do agree that a good swing has components of both.
PC, I think you may be misunderstanding rotational and linear. And for sure, they dont have anything to do with positions or body types.

Thx... Being that it was the Practical Thread...I was just hoping to get a list... 1,2,3 ... make a little handout to give our Rec. Pres.... think I'm taking the cannonball express out of here... LOL

I was reading and writing on my video rendering waits, so really not that total of a waste of time

Anyways as usual, RD gets me the info I need... gotta ��him

Rotational vs Linear Swing Techniques

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I just read all 9 pages.

I have no idea what is going on. Colors and pictures where words should be. Strange unconnected statements. Other people making reasonable statements like they DO understand what is going on, yet I don't. Is this what it is like to be on LSD?

We need FFS back. He would straighten this crap out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar