Building a hitter from scratch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
To the original poster: if they have NO idea how to swing -- ie, don't know where to stand relative to home plate and hold a bat like a hockey stick! -- I'd start with the Justin Stone video (as good as any starting point) and have them watch it, then talk about it with them, then have them emulate it in slow motion with lots of checkpoints to see if they are starting to understand it, then have them start swinging a bit. Video them. Let THEM see if they look anything like videos posted on this site of hitters, maybe even use Perfect Circle's kid as an example though her swing is rather particular --ie, pretty "big". That should get them more "in the ballpark."

THEN, if you'd like, deep dive into this site and you'll start to understand how to take a basic swing and work it into something better -- how it works, what terms get used around here (sorry PC, but you're not helping by taking terms like rotational and linear and on a discussion board 100% changing their meaning vs. traditional meaning -- it just confuses things...I know you mean well and I enjoy watching your DD's progression :) ).

You'll need to do as much learning as the girls will. It is GREAT you are helping them, take your time and enjoy it!

I wonder if Mann is around, I think he's taken groups of raw kids from scratch before and gotten them on a good path. Perhaps he has starting-point suggestions.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This could be the understatement of the year! Your perspective is unique and and often is a breath of fresh air compared to the Theological Hitting forum where there are 10-page threads debating the definition of a single word!

Although you didn't ask, I'll offer my 2 cents on your DD's swing - based on where her swing is now versus where it used to be there has been significant improvement and it is evident that she is blessed with athletic ability and is a quick learner. Given the opportunity to work with her in person I believe that many here could help her get close to the high-level pattern relatively quickly. Although she obviously owes her improvement and success to your coaching, I'm not sure if you're crazy like a fox or just crazy and lucky! Regarding the pitching-hitting analogies, while they've obviously worked to help her understand the importance of a solid base, the role of the core, and the advantage of proper sequence, going forward I think you may do more harm than good trying to get more mileage out of this approach. I think she's at the point where you can let her swing and just compare video of her to your chosen model hitter and then talk about where the similarities and differences are and how to resolve them. That said, based on the improvement she's made, my guess is that she'll figure it out on her own and become very proficient regardless of what road you take.

Love ya, man - GM

This post deserves more than just a "like." GM, that was a very nice post!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This post deserves more than just a "like." GM, that was a very nice post!

tumblr_oenj3aQ6XJ1sial0xo1_500.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The internal stance... I remember DD's Coach coming back from the stone clinic, and telling DD to stand with feet spread apart as wide as shoulders. Then lay the bat on the ground to get a bearing on how far back you should be....I had her studying Batista... to get some power in her skinny little butt...big leg kick ect...

Feet first.... how about Pitcher's should start off with linear. They will understand, knowing that they drive out to land the length of their height -3" to start. 5 years later DD who is 5'7" strides out to 5'10" now.... Anyways its fluid. She is used to covering ground pitching, so she will be better suited for linear.

For the sake of explanation, lets just say a catcher is better suited for rotational. Feet are set to the width that is to be covered, and planted. Just like the different stances they take... runner on ect... Think I even remember NECC show that bat stance & hitting to be the same... don't quote me LOL

You guys gotta be pulling my leg... LOL

Yes... Kemp is rotational... Longoria is linear... in my understanding. Rotational generate more bat speed... is what I heard ???... Both clips are@ 10fps... Kemps looks faster to me..

Okay. This confirms it. I'm going to stop trying to understand the points you are trying to make. We clearly have very different understandings of what certain words mean as they apply to swinging a bat, and how we approach instruction of hitting.

Cheers!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Okay. This confirms it. I'm going to stop trying to understand the points you are trying to make. We clearly have very different understandings of what certain words mean as they apply to swinging a bat, and how we approach instruction of hitting.

Cheers!

≋̮̑T̮̮̑̑ḫ̮̑̑ȃ̮̮̑n̮̮̑̑ks̮̮̑̑ ̮̮̑̑Ȃ̮̮̑n̮̮̑̑y̮̮̑̑ ̮̮̑̑Ḫ̮̑̑ȏ̮̮̑w̮̮̑̑.̮̮̑̑.̮̮̑̑.̮̮̑̑ ̮̮̑̑Ȋ̮̮̑'̮̮̑̑m̮̮̑̑ ̮̮̑̑w̮̮̑̑ȏ̮̮̑ȓ̮̮̑k̮̮̑̑ȋ̮̮̑n̮̮̑̑g̮̮̑̑ ̮̮̑̑ȏ̮̮̑n̮̮̑̑ ̮̮̑̑ȋ̮̮̑t̮̑≋

��

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
To the original poster: if they have NO idea how to swing -- ie, don't know where to stand relative to home plate and hold a bat like a hockey stick! -- I'd start with the Justin Stone video (as good as any starting point) and have them watch it, then talk about it with them, then have them emulate it in slow motion with lots of checkpoints to see if they are starting to understand it, then have them start swinging a bit. Video them. Let THEM see if they look anything like videos posted on this site of hitters, maybe even use Perfect Circle's kid as an example though her swing is rather particular --ie, pretty "big". That should get them more "in the ballpark."

I like the Stone video a lot, and it seems like a good jumping off point. For something I'm going to show them, it's probably the best First Video I've seen so far. A lot of others people are posting are incredibly helpful to me, but I don't think showing slowed-down video of Major Leaguers will make sense to the girls just yet. That comes later. The last thing I want to do is intimidate them or overwhelm them with too much information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles