Building a hitter from scratch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Here is my understanding of rotational/linear... FeetFirst....pick one best suited for the individual hitter.

K_L-R_L_.gif

Not seeing both in either of these...perfect examples. (JMHO) Thinking I'm seeing the problem.... besides it taking me 2 days to just simply post a comparison side by side of the two. The basic terms rotational/linear are conflicted... Sorry gentleman, but that's how I learned to identify the mechanics. I'm not disagreeing that they can be combined, just not from scratch... guessing???

I see three differences here that I think make the swings look different:

1) Stride/no stride. Greenmonsters mentioned this already.
2) Stance. Longoria starts a lot more upright. I don't know what it means though.
3) The most important: Pitch location! Longoria appears to be swinging at a pitch letter high and a bit in. Kemp is going after a thigh-high pitch that I think is down the middle or close to it. Maybe a bit in? IOW, I think Longoria is adjusting his swing to hit a high ball.

I'm obviously not claiming to be an expert on any of this, just saying what I observe. And I could be wrong. I don't know enough about rotational/linear to recognize the differences quite yet, but I'm not sure we're comparing the same thing here.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Cannonball: You are uploading your pictures to the discussfastpich.com. The pictures are converted to JPGs.

You have to upload your pictures to something like tinypic.com, get the link from tinypic.com, and then put that in the message.

Ray, what I don't understand is that we use the same platforms for this site and the site I moderate. However, when I used the attachment function, it uploads and plays the GIFs. I don't have a tinypics account. Maybe I'll have to check that out.

Let me try this now:

mm9cn7.jpg

6ghag3.jpg

Ok, so how I would look at this video is to break down this swing into posture, connection and rotation and explain what I see to my hitter. Then, I would look at things like, "pulling the bow back" and show my hitter what that cue means when I say it. I would explain how the load happens and mention to watch the hips. All the time, I would be using cues and explaining meaning. Then, I would take a hitter and use a tee and do my best to get them to improve along these lines. I would do other things as well but you get the point. As an "ex expert" I admit that the mileage will vary.

PC, so as you see Longoria's swing, you see his hand push straight at the pitcher? You don't see a circular hand path as Mankin was describing?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
OK, I'm new.
How did you determine where they should stand. How did you show them where they should stand is reference to the plate.
How should they stand.
How should they hold the bat.
Just trying to see where you're at as far as coaching and getting back to the basics because you said...

Also thinking back to when I first started with my DD on the basics/base of learning to hit.
I also would search Hitter and straightleg's older threads. I feel they did a great job on teaching a good starting base for newer/younger hitters/hitting.

These questions are funny to me, but not because they're bad questions.

By "where to stand" I mean "in the batter's box." The tee we have is a home plate tee. She was standing, literally, behind home plate.

Most of them hold the bat like they're holding a hockey stick, with hands far apart.

So when I say where to stand and how to hold the bat, when I talk about basics, I'm talking about handing a bat to people who, apparently, have never even watched the sport (though I can't confirm that).

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Ray, what I don't understand is that we use the same platforms for this site and the site I moderate. However, when I used the attachment function, it uploads and plays the GIFs. I don't have a tinypics account. Maybe I'll have to check that out.

Let me try this now:

mm9cn7.jpg

6ghag3.jpg

Ok, so how I would look at this video is to break down this swing into posture, connection and rotation and explain what I see to my hitter. Then, I would look at things like, "pulling the bow back" and show my hitter what that cue means when I say it. I would explain how the load happens and mention to watch the hips. All the time, I would be using cues and explaining meaning. Then, I would take a hitter and use a tee and do my best to get them to improve along these lines. I would do other things as well but you get the point. As an "ex expert" I admit that the mileage will vary.

PC, so as you see Longoria's swing, you see his hand push straight at the pitcher? You don't see a circular hand path as Mankin was describing?

Thank You Sir !!! You said Mankin... In didn't even know what you were talking about... Then I remembered the link I posted... I had to go back and watch it.

I just googled Rotational vs. & that clip came up... never seen it, & or heard of it. Just wanted to show the terms are valid in the game.

I was just trying to help out the OP.... as it turns out, he probably knows more than me... LOL

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thank You Sir !!! You said Mankin... In didn't even know what you were talking about... Then I remembered the link I posted... I had to go back and watch it.

I just googled Rotational vs. & that clip came up... never seen it, & or heard of it. Just wanted to show the terms are valid in the game.

I was just trying to help out the OP.... as it turns out, he probably knows more than me... LOL

PC, I learned a lot from Mankin and so, Thank You. I enjoyed going and watching him speak again. I hadn't seen his stuff in a long time and so it was refreshing going down memory lane. Jack is a very good man.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I've instructed hitting in a team/group setting and IMO you have to have at least one and maybe 1.5 walk/talk sessions where you really explain drills, what you're trying to accomplish and how to execute drills. Not every hitter may buy into it or even be listening, truthfully, but it sets up some reference points and common language ALL your coaches can use with hitters and some hitters may really buy in from the start and benefit from the details.

Excellent points!

Set goals; explain common terms; establish buy in

CP

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
OK, I'm new.
How did you determine where they should stand. How did you show them where they should stand is reference to the plate.
How should they stand.
How should they hold the bat.
Just trying to see where you're at as far as coaching and getting back to the basics because you said...

Also thinking back to when I first started with my DD on the basics/base of learning to hit.
I also would search Hitter and straightleg's older threads. I feel they did a great job on teaching a good starting base for newer/younger hitters/hitting.

Welcome to the fray N00b...LOL

another voice of reason...CP

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Glad to hear that.

Think maybe my understanding of the terms, are somewhat different. My intent was a practical approach. I'm thinking more in the line of RD's questions :cool:

This could be the understatement of the year! Your perspective is unique and and often is a breath of fresh air compared to the Theological Hitting forum where there are 10-page threads debating the definition of a single word!

Although you didn't ask, I'll offer my 2 cents on your DD's swing - based on where her swing is now versus where it used to be there has been significant improvement and it is evident that she is blessed with athletic ability and is a quick learner. Given the opportunity to work with her in person I believe that many here could help her get close to the high-level pattern relatively quickly. Although she obviously owes her improvement and success to your coaching, I'm not sure if you're crazy like a fox or just crazy and lucky! Regarding the pitching-hitting analogies, while they've obviously worked to help her understand the importance of a solid base, the role of the core, and the advantage of proper sequence, going forward I think you may do more harm than good trying to get more mileage out of this approach. I think she's at the point where you can let her swing and just compare video of her to your chosen model hitter and then talk about where the similarities and differences are and how to resolve them. That said, based on the improvement she's made, my guess is that she'll figure it out on her own and become very proficient regardless of what road you take.

Love ya, man - GM

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
These questions are funny to me, but not because they're bad questions.

By "where to stand" I mean "in the batter's box." The tee we have is a home plate tee. She was standing, literally, behind home plate.

Most of them hold the bat like they're holding a hockey stick, with hands far apart.

So when I say where to stand and how to hold the bat, when I talk about basics, I'm talking about handing a bat to people who, apparently, have never even watched the sport (though I can't confirm that).

I'm sorry but, your answers are funny to me. Maybe, when you 'study'/read some more then we both can have a good chuckle.
"where to stand" I mean "in the batter's box." The tee we have is a home plate tee.
Sure, just stand in the batters box near that plate. Yeah, OK.........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles