Building a hitter from scratch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Based on my experience with helping 100+ players switching to LH so they can take advantage of their speed by bunting and slapping as well as full swing (start from scratch), one of the best drills to incorporate early are modified front arm swings. Modified in the sense that the rear hand holds the front wrist or is used open palm on the handle forcing some connection and coordination between front and rear but forcing the front arm to control the action of directing the barrel to contact. With progress, gradually add in using the rear arm to help turn the barrel without disrupting the direction controlled by the front. To be clear, working on sequence, legs, coiling, weight transfer etc are all things to address but I'm just saying that this drill gets some positive progress quickly which can be critical to building confidence by achieving solid contact more often than any other drill that I am familiar with. We use a light tee ball bat, sponge balls off a tee, side toss and machine pitch from about 27 feet at a slow speed.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Unfortunately, I agree... In my opinion, there are several posters in the hitting threads (past and present) that can equal anyone from the pitching threads, but the threads often break down and become difficult to follow unless you really dig deep. I have learned a great deal from several of them, so I am thankful for that.

CoachJD -- I understand your challenge. The other night at our JV/V practice, a new team member stepped in the box. She has never played before in her life. She proceeded to step on home plate and then shift her feet around to insure that no part of her shoes was outside of home plate. We literally needed to start with grip, stance, etc. Another player last year... She showed up for one practice, at which she hit pretty well. Terrible mechanics but great hand/eye coordination. The next day we had a scrimmage. During the JV portion she swung at three consecutive pitches; the first two bounced and the third was easily a foot over her head. At hitting practice the next day, I asked her if she could explain the strike zone. Her response was "huh?". So my point is --- Never make any assumptions...

I was speaking with the varsity head coach last night and suggested a plan to her. At the next group hitting practice, I suggested that her and the other coach work with the experienced players and leave the 4 new players work with me for the duration of the practice. That way I can explain things to a smaller group from "Step 1" without interfering with the rest of the group. Hopefully this will be beneficial to all the players. I wish you the best of luck in your journey!

Yes, differentiated instruction:)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Unfortunately, I agree... In my opinion, there are several posters in the hitting threads (past and present) that can equal anyone from the pitching threads, but the threads often break down and become difficult to follow unless you really dig deep. I have learned a great deal from several of them, so I am thankful for that.
I agree and maybe because the posters who cause the 'break downs' in most/all the threads are more 'hands on' in coaching their DD's in learning to hit. Where as, in pitching some, not all posters seem to do more sitting on a bucket as someone else does the coaching. So, there is more agreement in the pitching thread then you would find in the hitting thread. You won't find a hitting clinic in the hitting threads because of the disagreements in hitting theories.

No 'discussion' with the pitching coach. Just get a new one.......
throwing-money.gif

And go..............Ha..Ha........

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I agree and maybe because the posters who cause the 'break downs' in most/all the threads are more 'hands on' in coaching their DD's in learning to hit. Where as, in pitching some, not all posters seem to do more sitting on a bucket as someone else does the coaching. So, there is more agreement in the pitching thread then you would find in the hitting thread. You won't find a hitting clinic in the hitting threads because of the disagreements in hitting theories.

And go..............Ha..Ha........

Its all monkey see monkey do... More monkeys in the hitting because it includes MLB... ��

Hoping you check out yesterday's clip... first try on a Whip-it... Its got pitching & Hitting ...Thx

Don't know if she is hitting Rotational or Linear.......... JK

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Its all monkey see monkey do... More monkeys in the hitting because it includes MLB... ��

Hoping you check out yesterday clip... first try on a Whip-it... Thx

Don't know if she is hitting Rotational or Linear.......... JK

Yeah...this is me 'throwing out' some hitting advice:
gorilla-throws-shit_webm_1624559.gif

Jul 26, 2016
I like approaches like backward chaining etc but I'm not sure if any elite swings are build from the scratch. most kids have some basic starting swing based on some very crude teaching, emulation and their natural movement patterns and over time those patterns get more and more refined. even mlb players usually don't receive elite level instruction in their first two years of play, they get some basic instructions (probably even some "bad ones " like swing down building a basic swing. from there small corrections happen in many steps their swing is not build from the scratch when they get their first decent coach.

the same is true when kids learn English. when you learn a foreign language at school you learn grammar, spelling in a very structured way. but if you learn English at age two you do that in an unstructured way by picking up snippets of language and emulating.

over time those patterns get refined in very small increments long before there is any understanding of the language.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

In my 10+ years of coaching at the rec, junior high, jv, varsity, and travel ball levels, I have seen and heard much more disagreement in regards to hitting than with pitching. In my opinion, this is simply due to the nature of the activity. If you have a brand new player working in a cage for 15 minutes, that player will typically have the ability to put the bat on the ball. It may not look pretty, and the results may not occur in a game, but they are making contact in the cage. If you take that same brand new player and put her in the circle for 15 minutes, she may throw 100 pitches without ever throwing a single strike. In my opinion, this lends to some people over simplifying the hitting process. Parents seem to understand that for their daughter to excel as a pitcher, it is important to either gain all the knowledge they can or enlist the help of a private instructor. When it comes to hitting, the same level of urgency just isn't there. Of course there are exceptions to that.

rdbass -- When I state that there are "posters that I have learned a great deal from", you are either at or very near the top of that list. I greatly appreciate all the help you have provided to me while I have been a member here. You are one of the few posters here that I would gladly take my DD to for hitting help. There are a few others here that I also trust. But unfortunately, many of my favorite posters are no longer active here. That is a real shame.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
In my 10+ years of coaching at the rec, junior high, jv, varsity, and travel ball levels, I have seen and heard much more disagreement in regards to hitting than with pitching. In my opinion, this is simply due to the nature of the activity. If you have a brand new player working in a cage for 15 minutes, that player will typically have the ability to put the bat on the ball. It may not look pretty, and the results may not occur in a game, but they are making contact in the cage. If you take that same brand new player and put her in the circle for 15 minutes, she may throw 100 pitches without ever throwing a single strike. In my opinion, this lends to some people over simplifying the hitting process. Parents seem to understand that for their daughter to excel as a pitcher, it is important to either gain all the knowledge they can or enlist the help of a private instructor. When it comes to hitting, the same level of urgency just isn't there. Of course there are exceptions to that.

rdbass -- When I state that there are "posters that I have learned a great deal from", you are either at or very near the top of that list. I greatly appreciate all the help you have provided to me while I have been a member here. You are one of the few posters here that I would gladly take my DD to for hitting help. There are a few others here that I also trust. But unfortunately, many of my favorite posters are no longer active here. That is a real shame.

Glad you brought this up !!!

I think DFP needs a sticky "Must read all newbies" Authored By RDBass

*Hanson=the Heartbeat of Site
*turn camera on... get the player in full view, from the side
*post on You-tube, not with privacy settings
* first find the Thanks botton on the thread... you figured out how to start
*ect........................

Because of his helpfulness... I hate having to see him have to waste sooo much time... time=pages
to the neglect of more thankful posters.

If they had everything ^... He would give them among the TOP answer for consideration, very Quick... sometimes in seconds.

JMHO

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, the problem with the hitting disagreements is, again, what Nyman used to always say. One is only capable of seeing what they are capable of seeing. So, when a poster notices something that needs to be tweaked or changed, typically another disagrees. Both determine that they are dead right and so, the arguments. When it was announced that SSarge passed away, I felt a tremendous loss. He had helped me so very long ago. I found posts of us, and others discussing hitting in the very early 2,000s and long before this site was created. I've not only been though the discussions of Lau, Yeager, ..., I've been through so many sites. From Mankin's site to the old ETeamZ site to High School Baseball Web to Baseball Fever, Baseball Debate, to Englishbey's Private Site to ... I've been in on the discussions about linear and rotational from the very start. I was in on the discussion on what Mankin described as "CHP" (Circular Hand Path) to the changes in video etc. that showed that ARod's hand path did not conform to the Pete Rose video always posted as the perfect example of "CHP." I could provide Mankin's exact quotes along with 20 or 30 other posters who were active in that day. I can discuss Epstein, Yeager, ... and a few other gurus that have come along. I was around discussing hitting with my friend Donny Buster long before he left us. I was active long before RVP came along with Slaught's thoughts and the changes that both Candrea and Enquist made. I am old.

I was once an "expert." I could fill this thread up with all of the "experts" that have come and gone." I have worked with coaches collegiate baseball and softball over the years and at high levels. Then, due to all of the "hitting wars," I lost friends. I now give my opinion. I no longer care to be an expert. Take my advice if you want and if you don't, that is fine. Find your own path. I work with hitters and am not some theory guy. I have had numerous baseball players (20+) go on to play professionally. I have had numerous softball players go on to play college softball. That is enough for me. Of course I am one of those "Monkeys" that used MLB Players as examples. Why? Because their swings helped my daughter and players. Enjoy all!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
IMO, the problem with the hitting disagreements is, again, what Nyman used to always say. One is only capable of seeing what they are capable of seeing. So, when a poster notices something that needs to be tweaked or changed, typically another disagrees. Both determine that they are dead right and so, the arguments. When it was announced that SSarge passed away, I felt a tremendous loss. He had helped me so very long ago. I found posts of us, and others discussing hitting in the very early 2,000s and long before this site was created. I've not only been though the discussions of Lau, Yeager, ..., I've been through so many sites. From Mankin's site to the old ETeamZ site to High School Baseball Web to Baseball Fever, Baseball Debate, to Englishbey's Private Site to ... I've been in on the discussions about linear and rotational from the very start. I was in on the discussion on what Mankin described as "CHP" (Circular Hand Path) to the changes in video etc. that showed that ARod's hand path did not conform to the Pete Rose video always posted as the perfect example of "CHP." I could provide Mankin's exact quotes along with 20 or 30 other posters who were active in that day. I can discuss Epstein, Yeager, ... and a few other gurus that have come along. I was around discussing hitting with my friend Donny Buster long before he left us. I was active long before RVP came along with Slaught's thoughts and the changes that both Candrea and Enquist made. I am old.

I was once an "expert." I could fill this thread up with all of the "experts" that have come and gone." I have worked with coaches collegiate baseball and softball over the years and at high levels. Then, due to all of the "hitting wars," I lost friends. I now give my opinion. I no longer care to be an expert. Take my advice if you want and if you don't, that is fine. Find your own path. I work with hitters and am not some theory guy. I have had numerous baseball players (20+) go on to play professionally. I have had numerous softball players go on to play college softball. That is enough for me. Of course I am one of those "Monkeys" that used MLB Players as examples. Why? Because their swings helped my daughter and players. Enjoy all!

I read it all .... very sorry if my monkey see offended you. Really !!!

I only use MLB players for my DD.

What I'm saying is much more BB stuff out there. Much better video !!! After thinking it through, Simple answer is all 12 have to hit until they become good enough as a pitcher. (our goal) 12 hitters, 3 pitchers per team. Lotz more work to do...

Again very sorry if I offended you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar