Bucket Dad's frustration with the new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2015
NorCal
DD completed her first year in 12u in August and moved up to an existing 14u team, where she is now the #2 pitcher and #3 catcher. She is at least a year younger than every other player on the team and still trying to find her 'place,' both with the coaches and the other players. At a recent tournament on Sunday morning, with a 9:30 game time, the team was asked to arrive in time to start warming up at 8:30. DD and I arrived at 8:15 and were joined a few moments later by the other new player on the team. After standing around for 10 minutes, DD and her teammate got tired of waiting for the others and ran off to start throwing. HC and his DD showed up 5 minutes late, and the rest of the coaches and players straggled in over the next 15 minutes, with the team warm up finally starting about 8:50.

One of the other catchers was out sick, so DD was asked to catch for the #3 pitcher's warm up. By the time #3 was ready, there was no longer enough time for DD to do her pitching warm up as the game was about to start. HC told her not to worry as she was not going to be pitching that game. #1 pitcher gives up 5 runs in the first inning so HC tells DD to warm up between innings with an AC. There was no time for her normal routine as he might need to bring her in right away, so she had to jump straight to full speed pitching. Second inning goes better for #1, crisis averted, so the coaches don't continue with DD's warm up. Top of third, #1 walks the first two batters on 8 pitches and DD is brought into the game. At this point she says she had thrown fewer than ten pitches, plus the five she got in the circle.

DD pitches her best game ever. Over three innings she gave up three runs on six hits (all singles) with no walks, against a very strong hitting team (and eventual tournament champion). I was ecstatic about her performance, but spitting bullets about the lack of a proper warm up. She of course just said she doesn't need to warm up.

DD likes the team and the coaches. I am frustrated that the HC would risk injuring a young pitcher by putting her on the field without warming up properly. There are other examples of poor coaching decisions that add to my frustration, but DD and DW don't want me to rock the boat. I'm posting here to vent, but also to get advice on how best to approach the coach as I cannot allow the situation to be repeated. Any ideas? Thanks!

Jan 25, 2011
Why does there have to be this big routine? Did she play catch with someone before the game? You gave the answer to that when you said she warmed up one of the other pitchers. Come on what does she need to do 50 wrist snaps, 50 from 9 o'clock, 50 walk thru, and so on. What's proper warm up? I know you cant answer that one, it is what the pitcher needs for warm ups not you. I just don't see what the HC did wrong. It seems like you are the one with the issue. Almost sounds like you want to take over as the head coach. IMO of course.

Jun 7, 2013
I have two DDs that pitch. They both have been put in situations like your DD has and, like your DD, performed admirably! To me this is fastpitch softball. It's what happens. I'll tell you what I tell myself several times a day: Chill out!

And good luck to you and your DD!

Nov 18, 2013
Getting the coaches and other parents to change their behaviors is a losing battle. Just arrive 90 minutes early and warm your DD up yourself.

Feb 7, 2013
It sounds like this was a special case since the other catcher was out sick and your DD had to fill in to catch the #3 pitcher (which by the way sounds like she is the #2 pitcher? but that is a separate issue). The bottom-line is that players need to find time to properly warm themselves up whether or not the HC gives them enough time or not. If she is sitting out an inning or her team is batting, she needs to grab a player (any player with a mask) to throw to in anticipation of getting some circle time. This is 14u travel ball and the girls need to start taking ownership of their softball "careers".

Good luck, it sounds like she will quickly move up to the #1 pitcher role when she gets more time in the circle and proves herself just as good (if not better) than the other two pitchers.

Lastly, I would think long and hard about whether you want her playing both catcher and pitcher.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think the main complaint is not letting your DD warm up, been there both as a coach and a parent.

I did warm up DD before we went to the game but I am not sure that is a good idea anymore.

DD has been thrown in a few games with her 6 pitches, I have not seen any harm from it besides her throwing the ball in the middle of the strike zone as she was figuring it out.

Drop catching if it is an Issue.

Sep 9, 2015
I agree with what has been said here. You and your DD probably know what you need to do to be successful. If you need to warm her up on your own early before team warm ups start, then you or someone else needs to catch for her. A lot of time catchers don't get time to warm up their throwing arms because they are catching for pitching warm ups - so they need to do their own throwing warm ups on their own. However, if the coach is doing anything that is going to get someone hurt, or makes them play when injured, you need to get involved or leave the team.

I also agree that your daughter is getting to the age where she should choose either pitching or catching. You just have to tell the coach that she doesn't catch (or pitch) any more.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I guess I am making a BIG assumption, DD is playing in the field when she is not pitching.

If warming up is an Issue, sitting on the bench is a good place to be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321