Bow Squat or IR the rear hip only???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Forgive my inexperience but what is the desired effect of the girl with the butterfly net and that drill?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Forgive my inexperience but what is the desired effect of the girl with the butterfly net and that drill?

What? You don't know!? Just kidding. I am not sure what the purpose of the net is either. Maybe she just got in from snaggin crawfish.
It is a Louisiana Lafayette Ragin Cajuns practice. They are working on turning the barrel to the ball, or hand swivel, or active hands, or getting the barrel behind the ball, or whipping the barrel…….all the same thing that we have giving different names to.

Jul 23, 2014
What? You don't know!? Just kidding. I am not sure what the purpose of the net is either. Maybe she just got in from snaggin crawfish.
It is a Louisiana Lafayette Ragin Cajuns practice. They are working on turning the barrel to the ball, or hand swivel, or active hands, or getting the barrel behind the ball, or whipping the barrel…….all the same thing that we have giving different names to.

Thanks for that. It seems like a strange swingpath with really high hands. Maybe that is the desired effect but it looks weird to me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

312cj9c.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks for that. It seems like a strange swingpath with really high hands. Maybe that is the desired effect but it looks weird to me.
IMO it is just about building a habit of the hands snapping the barrel at go. As opposed to pulling or pushing the barrel.
papiturn_zps726baabf.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
IMO it is just about building a habit of the hands snapping the barrel at go. As opposed to pulling or pushing the barrel.
papiturn_zps726baabf.gif

312cj9c.gif

Red, do you see the Louisville girl turning the barrel at the same time she is arching her back on one leg? I see Ortiz un-arching while the the hands are responding.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
"Un-arching?"

unarching or arching:
catcow.jpg

You will never convince me a high level hitter doesn't use their hands.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
"Un-arching?"

unarching or arching:
catcow.jpg

You will never convince me a high level hitter doesn't use their hands.

Did, I ever say the hands are not involved.. Do You see the different back actions between the two?

btw, nice cat/cow images.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sure, one is doing a dry fire drill, the other is live hitting.
ullhands_zps615df137.gif
papiturn_zps726baabf.gif

Same girl game swing
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Which of the shadow pics is "UNARCHING?"

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Sure, one is doing a dry fire drill, the other is live hitting.
ullhands_zps615df137.gif
papiturn_zps726baabf.gif

Same girl game swing
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Which of the shadow pics is "UNARCHING?"

Ok, sorry I see the confusion with using arch un-arch.. I will stick with cat/cow yoga. Arching would be the top image... The top is the cow and the bottom is the cat..

The girl is going from cat to cow to complete the swing, while Ortiz is going from cow to cat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877