Bow Squat or IR the rear hip only???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My point was the shoulder tilt and swing up. I can pick out quite a bit more, but she's a little kid. Chipper talks about going down to the ball and hitting it through the wall.

Her shoulder tilt while behind her is the what I was referring to that I would focus on….a simple focus on hitting back at the pitcher's face typically cures that.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Her shoulder tilt while behind her is the what I was referring to that I would focus on….a simple focus on hitting back at the pitcher's face typically cures that.
No doubt. And that's why I posted this. Chippers final words were "Don't try and lift it over it".

Now part of why she appears to whip the barrel is exactly what puts her in this poor position. See my point? Although it looks cool, it's not adjustable. Who suffers and who gains?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
No doubt. And that's why I posted this. Chippers final words were "Don't try and lift it over it".

Now part of why she appears to whip the barrel is exactly what puts her in this poor position. See my point? Although it looks cool, it's not adjustable. Who suffers and who gains?

My adhd didn't allow for me to hear his final words. Yes her barrel and shoulder get low behind her, my daughter still does too when trying to hit homeruns in bp. That is why I am heavy on the cues "stay above the ball" and "turn the barrel to the ball". It is a work in progress. I would take the earlier girls swing over most posted on here though. But yes, that is what my personal focus would be….turning to the ball, without pushing, and still keeping a whip. Actually what she is doing could be the initial steps. While I won't say it is the only way to swing, but with my one kids and kids that will work on it, I will always teach about a corner and and whipping the barrel around it….even if the hitter begins with some issues of shoulder drop and barrel getting too low behind them.

Showing and talking about both hands working together to turn the barrel would help this girl.
StealthDrill.gif

cajunpractice_zpsef9b1533.gif

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I prefer mini. His hands take a level path once they get into a slot. Just as we don't want player to take their hands down, we also don't want them taking them up.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I like the girls too. It is turning the barrel to the ball RIGHT NOW. You have to realize that the hitter will make adjustments to contact the ball, and it will not look like that in a swing.
[video=vimeo;100906548]http://vimeo.com/100906548[/video]

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I like the girls too. It is turning the barrel to the ball RIGHT NOW. You have to realize that the hitter will make adjustments to contact the ball, and it will not look like that in a swing.
[video=vimeo;100906548]http://vimeo.com/100906548[/video]

Anybody care to opine or discuss how well this approach accommodates a checked swing?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
OK, we're getting sidetracked but that's cool... would the 2 clips below encourage the same quick barrel movement yet at the same time encourage different usage of the body? 2 legs vs. 1 leg....

TeeDrillRH.gif

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
OK, we're getting sidetracked but that's cool... would the 2 clips below be encourage the same quick barrel movement yet at the same time encourage different usage of the body? 2 legs vs. 1 leg....

TeeDrillRH.gif

Great way to bring this back home. Yes to your question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877