Batted Ball Distance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
How about this.

Hitter #1 has 60 mph bat speed at contact, but uses all arms.
Hitter #2 has 60 mph bat speed at contact, but uses all the muscles of the body.

Which ball goes further?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Looking at the graph I see the club head speed fall prior to impact and then drop like a rock after energy has been transfered to the ball. I think the club head speed would not drop like a rock if the club head never hit a ball.

It would be fun to see a swing speed graph with out ball contact, but I guess its unobtainium.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I can think of one reason why it MIGHT be beneficial to have the velocity peak just before impact. As the swing is accelerating the bat or club is still in a lag position and as it approaches being in line with the previous segment of the pendulum it actually starts to slow down. The difference is so slight in speed that it is almost not worth mentioning and it is making impact "virtually at the max speed" but it is squared up better so you could think of it as a small trade off in speed for a bigger improvement in accuracy (especially in a golf swing).

So in a nutshell, there is simply a slight lag between max velocity and MAX accuracy....and hitters evolve to make the slight trade off over time.

The above is a hypothesis only-I offer it to possibly explain the difference between what we are seeing in the graphs and the intuitive reasoning that we would want to make contact at max velocity. I still think that for a batted ball (not golf) that if you plotted a bunch of real swings you would have contact at various points around max velocity.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Just the bats mass and velocity....if you read this godforsaken thread you will see links to several studies showing that due to the way the energy wave travels in a bat that what is happening at the handle has absolutely no effect on the bat ball collision. The collision is so fast that energy cannot travel fro the handle to the sweet spot in time.

Jul 27, 2015
Just the bats mass and velocity....if you read this godforsaken thread you will see links to several studies showing that due to the way the energy wave travels in a bat that what is happening at the handle has absolutely no effect on the bat ball collision. The collision is so fast that energy cannot travel fro the handle to the sweet spot in time.

Oh ok, so trying to swing fast instead of hard would yield better results?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
So several independent physicists on at least two different continents run tests, gather data and match it up against theoretical results, the findings show that during the bat ball collision that how the bat handle is clamped cannot possibly have an effect on the ball exit speed. The experiment and the theory match, other sports science labs confirm the results, ESPN sports science confirms the results, but we have two guys throwing balls at bats in the backyard and refuting it.

Sounds a lot like the global warming debate to me. Science up the wazoo proving it is happening and yahoos going in the backyard and saying "feels cold, this global warming stuff is a bunch of hooey"

JJ read what I wrote again. I agree with the scientists. The wake forest (?) test with the bat on a string and the clamped bat showed what everyone suspected, the bat on a string goes flying and the clamped bat doesnt. (Read this) things change when the bat is put in motion.

And yes I believe in global warming, cooling and changing climate. What does the data show 3/10 of 1 degree change in the last 100 years or so?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
JJ read what I wrote again. I agree with the scientists. The wake forest (?) test with the bat on a string and the clamped bat showed what everyone suspected, the bat on a string goes flying and the clamped bat doesnt. (Read this) things change when the bat is put in motion.

And yes I believe in global warming, cooling and changing climate. What does the data show 3/10 of 1 degree change in the last 100 years or so?

Who cares what the bat does? The ball doesn't do anything different. And at rest or swinging does not change the collision properties.

I won't get into the global warming thing here other than to say the thinking is similar, scary similar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan