Batted Ball Distance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
How far were you standing away, and how fast did you throw the ball? I'm asking because I am very impressed you were able to hit the bat. I am not too proud to admit that if I was standing 43 feet away and throwing the ball underhand, there is virtually no chance that I would hit the bat.

I was about 4.3' away. I squared it up good, bat flew straight back. Ball literally dropped straight to the ground, rolled maybe 15" to the left. The underhand throw was maybe 30mph, no IR just a straight push ;)

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Who cares what the bat does? The ball doesn't do anything different. And at rest or swinging does not change the collision properties.

I won't get into the global warming thing here other than to say the thinking is similar, scary similar.

What about the wake forest study with the clamped bat and the bat on a string? Are you denying the wake forest scientists?

I love for you to share your global warming knowledge.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Just the bats mass and velocity....if you read this godforsaken thread you will see links to several studies showing that due to the way the energy wave travels in a bat that what is happening at the handle has absolutely no effect on the bat ball collision. The collision is so fast that energy cannot travel fro the handle to the sweet spot in time.

Right, the collision of the moving bat and the moving ball is so fast.... wait... what happens when bat speed is slowed down to a standstill. Is the collision less fast?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was about 4.3' away. I squared it up good, bat flew straight back. Ball literally dropped straight to the ground, rolled maybe 15" to the left. The underhand throw was maybe 30mph, no IR just a straight push ;)

I may be able to handle that ;) I am good at batting practice because the players never know where the pitch is going to be.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I may be able to handle that ;) I am good at batting practice because the players never know where the pitch is going to be.

I set the experiment up in a climate controlled clean room, but then I wanted the test to be as realistic as possible so I moved it to my back yard.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
What about the wake forest study with the clamped bat and the bat on a string? Are you denying the wake forest scientists?

JJ Can speak for himself but I think he meant grip rather than clamp.
The WF test did show a clamp makes a difference and further testing indicated that a clamp does not replicate hand grip.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Right, the collision of the moving bat and the moving ball is so fast.... wait... what happens when bat speed is slowed down to a standstill. Is the collision less fast?

I was curious too. Wondering if JJ, GM or FFS has enough knowledge to know if and how slower speeds could impact the results. They seem to get the Physics stuff well.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
JJ Can speak for himself but I think he meant grip rather than clamp.
The WF test did show a clamp makes a difference and further testing indicated that a clamp does not replicate hand grip.

True dat.

The test doesnt have much value for baseball but it is an interesting physics experiment.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207