Bat Drag & Lag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I agree with FiveFrameSwing on most of this. Technically that back elbow is pulling the bat which is shouldn't be. The bat knob should be in front of the hands. But bat drag is really something more detrimental. This back elbow pull leads to a slower swing, and sometimes a dropped bat head, and less power at contact. Except for the elbow and a pronounced head tilt, both sets look very good.

Bat drag usually happens when the arms are extended backward, and the arms straighten out, the bat head drops prematurely, and the left arm would straighten dragging the bat through the hitting zone. Even many college players have too straight a front elbow. This straight arm also results in, or can be the result of, a front shoulder flying off the plate. This girl doesn't have that problem. If this is your player, I would do 200% as many bottom hand isolation drills as top hand. And in the top hand isolation drills, I would emphasize not leading with that elbow.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I know this is kinda off the subject (please correct me if I am wrong) but shouldn't her head be a little more vertical. With her her head tilted on it's side won't that make the shoulders tilt more? I know that if it is a low pitch there should be some tilt. Not offering as criticism just curious.

I noticed that to undergroundga. I hope it is attributable to over-concentration since she knew it was being filmed. You are correct in your premise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC