Bad pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 1, 2021
There are times when a team's best catcher doesn't get to catch for the team's best pitcher. While it may be easier to catch a good pitcher, catching the Lesser pitcher still has an important role, possibly a more important role!
#1 stepping up to Greater challenge!

For catchers~
Bad pitching is GREAT TRAINING!
Bad pitching helps illustrate great defensive skills behind the plate!
Bad pitching often creates more base runners for the catcher to control throwing Runners out!
A catcher with good framing can help pitchers have better results.
A catcher who is supportive and good at communicating can help with part of the mental game.
Catchers are defensive players behind the plate. Have a much greater role than just receiving pitches!
Ronaldos?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
To revisit the pitcher's dad's perspective, the umpires change their zone to a breadbox when DD pitches. Bad mouth the umps when outside your own car. Once safely inside the car, you can badmouth the catchers who can't handle DD's unbelievable movement.

Dec 20, 2023
I’m going to say we’ve dealt with the opposite of this as a new to travel pitching parent. Bad catching can really rock the confidence of a good pitcher too, dropped 3rds have been a big confidence wrecker to my DD and she has blamed herself when she nailed the placement and would have gotten the out yet another runner gets on base. We’ve worked on dialing it in even more with placement for the catcher, to really stick the ball in their glove and make their job easier. We’ve played through some really tough tournaments but the gains have been made, stick with it, see it for the opportunity it is! A coach can hardly fault her having to chase down wild pitches, but she can grow in agility and athleticism trying to make the play every time.

Jun 29, 2023
I’m going to say we’ve dealt with the opposite of this as a new to travel pitching parent. Bad catching can really rock the confidence of a good pitcher too, dropped 3rds have been a big confidence wrecker to my DD and she has blamed herself when she nailed the placement and would have gotten the out yet another runner gets on base. We’ve worked on dialing it in even more with placement for the catcher, to really stick the ball in their glove and make their job easier. We’ve played through some really tough tournaments but the gains have been made, stick with it, see it for the opportunity it is! A coach can hardly fault her having to chase down wild pitches, but she can grow in agility and athleticism trying to make the play every time.

I'm guessing your daughter is pretty young. At the age when that was happening to my daughter we always kind of joked. Pitching lessons are expensive, these are extra free pitches. It seemed to work.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
... to really stick the ball in their glove and make their job easier...
Fine line here; developing pitch location is good. Emphasizing a hard, flat pitch that goes deep into the catcher's glove not a good habit to develop. Your DD may need to be patient to have catcher(s) learn to catch her pitches and how they move. Getting the catcher extra practice time with your DD is a big help.

May 13, 2023
@laurag and any other catchers having this issue of ball not staying in glove.

The angle of the catcher's glove
aka How catcher is presenting their glove.
How their arm is being utilized.
Are also important factors.
If you would like to have the people send video clip to me I'd be happy to do an assessment with feedback.

Dec 20, 2023
I'm guessing your daughter is pretty young. At the age when that was happening to my daughter we always kind of joked. Pitching lessons are expensive, these are extra free pitches. It seemed to work.
She is, only 11, been pitching in lessons for about a year and a half. She throws anywhere between 60-70% strikes in games, yet her ERA is awful because of dropped 3rd and missed gimme outs at 1.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06