Back and side view of my 10yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
Well I am far from an expert but you asked cor opinion. I Believe she is releasing too far behind her hip. I teach releasing in front of the hip. I think she is a little out of sync as far as her arm/hand in relation to her body. I think if her arm came down a little sooner it would be better. But again maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I think she looks very good, looks like she's put lots of work into her mechanics. I would say keep doing what your doing. keep working on that drive forward off the rubber, and leading with the elbow.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Wow--Nice work! I think Coach Pauly will be impressed!

Hard to tell from these videos, but I think I'm still seeing a forced action through release. A better video would help to see (add as much light as you can get and borrow an iPhone 6.)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
I agree with Ken B. She's turning her hand early and forcing the ball through. If she can bring her elbow just inside the hip before releasing the elbow, and allow the hand to whip underneath, she should increase speed. Does she tend to have trouble throwing outside to righties? Also, she looks a little upright as she initially comes out of her drive.

Still, 10 years old? Very nice.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I agree with Ken B. She's turning her hand early and forcing the ball through. If she can bring her elbow just inside the hip before releasing the elbow, and allow the hand to whip underneath, she should increase speed. Does she tend to have trouble throwing outside to righties? Also, she looks a little upright as she initially comes out of her drive.

Still, 10 years old? Very nice.

I think "behind the hip" might be a better description.

fx73ae.gif
ch2_zpsdihwrotu.gif

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
Thanks for everyone's input. She misses inside to a right handed batter and misses high when she is not on. We do try to exaggerate the IR. I guess if the arm is behind the hip more , it can occur more natural? So is that a arm circle issue , or a hip issue? Thanks again

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
One of the best 10u's I've ever seen.
I hate to be critical because she's so young but extremely gifted and talented. However in my opinion a few tweaks could be made.
1. I'd prefer to see the left heel off the ground in the load to maintain the load in the hips.
2. Her drive could get into the sprinters lean a bit more.
3. Her negative tilted lean at release is similar to that of an advanced riseball...not a snap over drop. I'd suggest bringing the spine tilt up closer to vertical and get the back hip an inch or two higher than the front. Imagine pitching from a baseball mound... (down hill)
4. The drag foot looks wonderful on its toes, but could adduct with the arms into center a bit more.

I realize she's only 10, and for her age, she's exceptional. However, you obviously want her to continue to grow. So good luck and please continue to post new videos of her after each adjustment.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks for everyone's input. She misses inside to a right handed batter and misses high when she is not on. We do try to exaggerate the IR. I guess if the arm is behind the hip more , it can occur more natural? So is that a arm circle issue , or a hip issue? Thanks again

I think jacman's advice to dial in her whip is spot on. Learn to trust the whip and brush. Loosen up that lower arm and let it fly. Don't make whip happen--let it happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55