At some time you had to pull Nunley right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2013
The speculation from some of you is pretty comical. Randy Nunley knew Skeeter was completely gassed and was having trouble watching it. Heck I could hardly watch from my living room...you just knew it was coming. The movement on her pitches was just gone and he knew she was done more than anybody else. She should have been pulled before the 6th with a 7-0 lead as they would have needed innings from her on Sunday anyway. Senior Cumbess or Freshman Prince should have been brought in. Coach Lawson has built this program up from nothing so she deserves support but I think this was a big learning experience for her that will result in better decisions in the future.

Aug 6, 2013
A few things:

Nunely ran out of gas around the 4th or 5th inning. Lawson had a game plan and it ultimately failed, but everyone here has to admit that Kentucky went much farther then they should have, and it probably all has to do with having Nunely in the circle.

If you put in the slowest pitcher you have available, she would have been rocked. The teams in the WCWS are not your typical HS or basic travel team.....they are the best of the best. If they know a pitch is going to come in slow, they will destroy it. These kids totally know how to adjust.

Nunely's dad was not upset that his daughter was getting gassed or that she was being abused by keeping her in the circle. He was pissed about the errors and big hits. In the 8th inning Baylor leads off with a double and the camera catches the dad walking away and picking at his rear. This guy turned his back on his daughter and my guess is she saw it. When Baylor won the game, the camera catches this guy with his hands on his hips with a pissed off look on his face. How about some applause for having a great run???? Show some pride.......

I agree with the first part Kentucky got all they could (and almost more)...
I think Lawson thought he had to stay with Nunely and didn't have options - She had seven runs to give and he thought he was safe - even when the all the fule was gone.

But I disagree with what you and other people are saying about Nunelys dad -

To me he looked anxious and up set for his daughter - as a pitchers dad -I know how hard it is to sit and watch the wheels fall off and there be nothing you can do -
I often walk the ‘Walk’ when my DD pitches and it's not because I'm NOT proud of her it's because I love her with all my heart and it's hard to see her in a tough spot.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
I believe that the biggest mistake that is made in college softball today is pitching their aces too long and too far. Putting aside the very important issue of these young ladies long term health, it seems like this is a counter productive strategy. I have noticed that in the three game weekend series' that most colleges play, when their ace pitcher is pitched in all three games, the third game is when the most runs are scored.

I think the next enhancement in college fastpitch softball will be the development of a bullpen along the lines of the major leagues--and even college baseball teams.

Oct 10, 2010
It blows my mind to think at this level you don't have a solid #2 who gets more than 15 or 20 innings a season. I blame the coach. As far as the Dad, there is no doubt he was feeling for his daughter and didn't want her to go down like that. A loss is one thing, but a complete meltdown is another. I would have cheered even louder if it was my kid, but the guy was severely stressed out and handled it his own way. We weren't there so it is hard to say what he was feeling.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ At least show the good looking guys, with their shirts off.

By the way, as a parent, you just have to sit their. Sit on your hands. Drink water. Check your phone. Act like nothing is happening. Do not draw attention to yourself.

Jun 7, 2013
^ At least show the good looking guys, with their shirts off.

By the way, as a parent, you just have to sit their. Sit on your hands. Drink water. Check your phone. Act like nothing is happening. Do not draw attention to yourself.

I need work on this. At my daughter's 12U game night, apparently, I was over reacting. My older daughter would, "Dad!", me when I got too carried away. The worst part was when my daughter threw a perfect 2-2 changeup that was not called a strike. At least she still sits with me during the game...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse