Assistant coach messing with hitting style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What's confusing to me is, the HC likes how I hit. She likes that she has a hitter she can place in the middle of the line up and know that I'll more than likely reach base. I'm far from our team's fastest runner. Don't get me wrong. I'm fast...for a catcher.

The assistant listed as her reason is that she thinks that I'd be better off trying to scratch my way on base and I'm a lefty. I said to her "with all due respect, coach,I think you are wrong. I'm not a speedy girl and I'm more of a power hitter than a slap and run hitter". She felt insulted by what I said but its true. I know there are plenty of girls on our team thats faster than I am.

Props to you for sticking up for yourself. However, be careful how you approach those situations with your coaches. Some don't take kindly to a disagreeing player.

My opinion doesn't really matter, I think it's a mistake to take a good hitter - especially one with power - and try to change her into something that doesn't fit her natural abilities. A "scratch your way on base" (which usually means slap and bunt) kind of hitter needs really good speed. Just being a lefty isn't enough. If that's not one of your strong areas, you have to rely on hitting the ball hard.

Jun 12, 2015
I would definitely chat with the head coach about it, personally. Maybe try a neutral approach - this is what AC said; what do you think?

Mar 29, 2012
AC sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. He wouldn't be the first to think evry left handed player needs to be a slapper though.

Talk to the HC let them know that you feel more comfortable not slapping and that you know it takes a lot of time to be able to learn to slap properly and your season is already underway and not that long.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you are hitting bombs from the right side of the plate, I would not see any reason to become a slapper unless you are fast as greased lighting. And since you mentioned you are a catcher, I am going to assume that is not the case. For college, most coaches recruiting 1B, 3B or C prefer power hitters.

Oct 2, 2015
I'm not the fastest girl on our team. I'm probably our third or fourth fastest runner. I don't understand why our AC would want to take a .315, 5, 21 (average, home runs and RBI's) and turn her into a slapper.

Kid, you're crushin' it!
Don't change a thing!

Jan 25, 2011
I will say it. The AC is a moron, that should stick with filling the water cooler. Sounds to me that the AC's daughter sucks and I mean sucks and needs somebody to screw with to get their dd more playing time.

Mar 29, 2012
I will say it. The AC is a moron, that should stick with filling the water cooler. Sounds to me that the AC's daughter sucks and I mean sucks and needs somebody to screw with to get their dd more playing time.

That's what I wanted to say but was being polite lol.

Oct 2, 2015

I love the fist first philosophy! :D

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I'm not the fastest girl on our team. I'm probably our third or fourth fastest runner. I don't understand why our AC would want to take a .315, 5, 21 (average, home runs and RBI's) and turn her into a slapper.

Does the AC offer slapping lessons to paying customers? That may be your answer....

ian

Jun 11, 2015

This happens alot on daddy ball teams. Sad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45