Assistant coach messing with hitting style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I got called into our high school assistant coach's office after one of my classes today and she said to me that while Im a good hitter, my ability to hit deep doubles, singles and occasonal home runs (in 11 games so far this season, I've hit 5 which is second on the team and fifth in the district). She thinks that I need to become a slapper and beat out singles instead of the way I usually hit which the head coach has/had no problem with. What should I do? Should I listen to the assistant, become a slapper and dismiss what has made me a sucessful hitter? Or keep doing what i have been doing at the plate which has worked?

FYI: AC has a daughter on team who has lost playing time because she tried becoming a slapper. She did not transition well and the struggle affected her defense.

Sounds like your swing is feeling better. Good work.

Use the ACs doubt in your ability as inspiration to get even better.

You got this.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I would respectfully ask for a meeting with both of them and talk it out. I just let them know that you are feeling a little confused with what your roll at the plate is. HC will let you know and the assistant will also hear his/her opinion. Don't call the AC out, just listen and it should resolve itself.

Because you are a HS player, I will also offer you a little advice. This is a very popular board. There are many members that never post, but read lots of posts. It is very apparent from your posts that you are a player and it wouldn't be hard to figure out your identity from what you post. The politics of HS softball can be brutal - you just might want to be cautious about what you post. Just my opinion. :)

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I would respectfully ask for a meeting with both of them and talk it out. I just let them know that you are feeling a little confused with what your roll at the plate is. HC will let you know and the assistant will also hear his/her opinion. Don't call the AC out, just listen and it should resolve itself.

Because you are a HS player, I will also offer you a little advice. This is a very popular board. There are many members that never post, but read lots of posts. It is very apparent from your posts that you are a player and it wouldn't be hard to figure out your identity from what you post. The politics of HS softball can be brutal - you just might want to be cautious about what you post. Just my opinion. :)

Thank you for your advice. I have spoken with my HC and she thinks it would be another tool I could use but she doesn't want me changing how I swing my bat this far into the season. So far this season, she's been happy with my production.

Also thanks for the reminder that this board is popular and that other potential people that I could meet, play for or someone from my own team could read what I'm writing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207