Assistant coach messing with hitting style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I got called into our high school assistant coach's office after one of my classes today and she said to me that while Im a good hitter, my ability to hit deep doubles, singles and occasonal home runs (in 11 games so far this season, I've hit 5 which is second on the team and fifth in the district). She thinks that I need to become a slapper and beat out singles instead of the way I usually hit which the head coach has/had no problem with. What should I do? Should I listen to the assistant, become a slapper and dismiss what has made me a sucessful hitter? Or keep doing what i have been doing at the plate which has worked?

FYI: AC has a daughter on team who has lost playing time because she tried becoming a slapper. She did not transition well and the struggle affected her defense.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
You might want to speak with the head coach about the suggestion and see how he/she feels about it first. Maybe the AC has suggested it to the HC, maybe not. The HC may want you to stay where you are, especially if what you're contributing right now is valued. There's an old saying that assistants make suggestions, head coaches make decisions. If the HC says no then that pretty much ends the discussion.

Did the AC say why she thinks you should become a slapper? If she said you would increase your chances of playing in college that might be a valid reason. Important to find out if there is a reason behind it or if this is just on a whim.

Either way, this seems like a strange time to suggest someone start slapping. That is usually an off-season project.

Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
Slapping, done right, is complex. It's not clear if you are a lefty, or on top of everything else, also moving to the other side of the plate. In my experience, (good) HS coaches recognize they've got about 10-12 weeks (at least here in the upper MidWest) and they work with what they've got. They don't develop players. And they certainly don't mess with swing plane, timing, etc in-season. Even if the HC says 'I'd like you to try' I suggest you answer "I'm on it coach. I'm going to work hard all off season, then you can tell me what you're seeing next year".

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Are you the fastest runner on the team, or at least close to it? A slow slapper is mostly an easy ground out. Speed is what makes it work by simply beating the play and/or putting more pressure on the defense to draw an error.

As a coach, I would hesitate a lot to change a consistent hitter, especially one who has demonstrated good power. 5 HR in 11 games is not something I would want to give up.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Slap hitters are made of kids who have great speed, but struggle to get on base. You're also not going to train a slapper in a single school ball season. It's tough and takes a lot of time. It sounds as though this AC doesn't know what it takes to slap hit.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
You might want to speak with the head coach about the suggestion and see how he/she feels about it first. Maybe the AC has suggested it to the HC, maybe not. The HC may want you to stay where you are, especially if what you're contributing right now is valued. There's an old saying that assistants make suggestions, head coaches make decisions. If the HC says no then that pretty much ends the discussion.

Did the AC say why she thinks you should become a slapper? If she said you would increase your chances of playing in college that might be a valid reason. Important to find out if there is a reason behind it or if this is just on a whim.

Either way, this seems like a strange time to suggest someone start slapping. That is usually an off-season project.

What's confusing to me is, the HC likes how I hit. She likes that she has a hitter she can place in the middle of the line up and know that I'll more than likely reach base. I'm far from our team's fastest runner. Don't get me wrong. I'm fast...for a catcher.

The assistant listed as her reason is that she thinks that I'd be better off trying to scratch my way on base and I'm a lefty. I said to her "with all due respect, coach,I think you are wrong. I'm not a speedy girl and I'm more of a power hitter than a slap and run hitter". She felt insulted by what I said but its true. I know there are plenty of girls on our team thats faster than I am.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Not that it matters but are you the player or the parent. I would answer some of your many posts if I knew who I was addressing. You could be the player but you'd be the first this active since I've been here.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Slapping, done right, is complex. It's not clear if you are a lefty, or on top of everything else, also moving to the other side of the plate. In my experience, (good) HS coaches recognize they've got about 10-12 weeks (at least here in the upper MidWest) and they work with what they've got. They don't develop players. And they certainly don't mess with swing plane, timing, etc in-season. Even if the HC says 'I'd like you to try' I suggest you answer "I'm on it coach. I'm going to work hard all off season, then you can tell me what you're seeing next year".

I've seen our shortstop slap hit and she's really good and I kinda admire her for being able to do so. She is one of three lefties in our lineup. Her, our Left Fielder and me.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Are you the fastest runner on the team, or at least close to it? A slow slapper is mostly an easy ground out. Speed is what makes it work by simply beating the play and/or putting more pressure on the defense to draw an error.

As a coach, I would hesitate a lot to change a consistent hitter, especially one who has demonstrated good power. 5 HR in 11 games is not something I would want to give up.

I'm not the fastest girl on our team. I'm probably our third or fourth fastest runner. I don't understand why our AC would want to take a .315, 5, 21 (average, home runs and RBI's) and turn her into a slapper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01