Ask Santa for thiis?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I'd think that sensors on both ends would be ideal for measuring orientation and location, but not survivability.
If you can manage to get both location and orientation accurately, the knob end would work.

Does it require the length of the bat as part of the setup/calibration? Seems essential to extrapolating where the barrel would be.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
It does require bat length (and weight) as part of the calibration/setup.

It has gyros and accelerometers for all 3 axes. With the bat length as an input it calculates and then plots the point representing the bat barrel during the swing. I suppose the calculation could be more accurate if done using the other end of the bat because it is closer to the point being plotted, but I doubt it. I don't think the calculation error is dominated by the distance from the sensor to the sweet spot, but rather is in the measurement of angle coming from the 3 gyros. So if the sensor was wrapped around the barrel right at the sweet spot, I would expect that to be the most accurate. Sensor on the knob is probably every bit as accurate as sensor on the other end of the bat, IMO.

Nov 14, 2011
If someone doesn't like their Zepp setup, I would love to give it a try!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2009
Florida
Curious about this. I can see where the sensors will give accurate data regarding the position of the bat when calibrated. Just playing devil's advocate here. Can you make the sensor and software show a decent swing path, yet do it with mechnical flaws?

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I continue to be amazed that Indiana can manage two seperate usernames, write coherently and/or go over the top techno on demand to suit the occasion. Sadly, my dog only knows how to sit.

Ha ha - we are two separate people (though we are married) :). Indiana's DH is my DH. DH is the technical guy who played baseball as a youth, in college and a little bit of semi-pro. We both follow the forum and gather TONS of great advice - mine more from the parenting side of things, his from the technical teaching/coaching side.
(GM - sorry I didn't see your post until now - I apologize for the confusion - I don't usually visit the hitting forum)

Carty - that's interesting. I personally have no idea but will mention your post to DH.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Curious about this. I can see where the sensors will give accurate data regarding the position of the bat when calibrated. Just playing devil's advocate here. Can you make the sensor and software show a decent swing path, yet do it with mechnical flaws?

From another site. This is what was posted:
Red segment represents contact....not speed. The ENTIRE red segment....from beginning to end.....represents contact even though the ball is only on the barrel for 1/2000th of a second.

Vertical Angle represents whether you hit the ball before or after the center of the plate. Negative = Before. Positive = After. Using the plate as the standard is a huge mistake.

Horizontal Angle represents your barrel's path into the ball. Negative means 'up through'. Positive means 'down through'.

I would wait on the device. Seems more work in lab needs to be done.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ha ha - we are two separate people (though we are married) :). Indiana's DH is my DH. DH is the technical guy who played baseball as a youth, in college and a little bit of semi-pro. We both follow the forum and gather TONS of great advice - mine more from the parenting side of things, his from the technical teaching/coaching side.
(GM - sorry I didn't see your post until now - I apologize for the confusion - I don't usually visit the hitting forum)

I thought Indiana was the dog masquerading as parents of a SB player from CO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1