Arm Whip and Brush Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Last night at class, one of my pitching dad's began fussing at his 13yr old DD. He fussed that she was hitting her arm against her hip and needed to stop. I hadn't noticed any hitting and was working with another student in her class. I looked over, everything looked fine, yes, she was getting some brush interference, so I asked her..."What are you feeling, are you feeling your arm bang on your side?"

She replied, "I don't feel anything." So I said, "Ok, your fine".:D
I'm sending him a brush interference clip today so he stops freaking out.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This is the hardest part of true IR to get through to a hello elbow crowd. They believe the arm has to be absolutely free to come forward, leading with the palm, without any interference. (Look for her butt pushed outward to allow room for the arm) However, to maximize the whip, the upper arm must decelerate in order for the lower half to accelerate.

Last edited:
My 13 YO DD is having a bit of a problem with too much Brush interference and is complaining about pain caused from the elbow hitting her hip. This has just started to pop up the last 2-3 workouts. Any ideas how to first protect her hip from bruising and then how to adjust the amount of brush to keep it from causing the pain in the first place?

Thanks for any input

PTC

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I did a little experiment last night with the younger daughter. She has a slight lean to allow her arm to clear. I have never said a word about her trying to make contact with her hip, so I told her just to stand tall and see what happens, I told her that if her arms touches her hip at all to not worry about it, it is OK. After a few tries she started getting a little interference and the ball HEIGHT got more consistent compared to when she lets her arm clear. Her misses with the arm clearing completely are mostly timing related some go really low and some go really high.

it is anecdotal, but I wanted to get a sense of how hard this was to show to a brand new pitcher and how it would affect them. We'll keep on working on this from the posture perspective only and see how it goes.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
OK, we have the below list. Who is BT and CK? I know who RLG is.

Poster abbreviation decoder for any newbies:
RP- Rick Pauley
RB- Rich Balswick
BH- Bill Hillhouse
BM- Boardmember
JS- Javasource

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
My 13 YO DD is having a bit of a problem with too much Brush interference and is complaining about pain caused from the elbow hitting her hip. This has just started to pop up the last 2-3 workouts. Any ideas how to first protect her hip from bruising and then how to adjust the amount of brush to keep it from causing the pain in the first place?

Thanks for any input

PTC

PTC- there have been a couple of threads here on the topic. Search on hip bruise and get ready to dig through some serious off topic stuff and you should find some good information. You are not the first to face this one. I recently bought a neoprene sleeve for older daughter's pitching arm to help with her occasional bruise causing misfire. it's getting better but still pops up once in a while. As her posture and drive mechanics improve it is getting better but it is a slow process for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06