Arm Whip and Brush Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 22, 2013
Hillhouse mentions brushing the belly. I have not been able to find this in any of the, so called, top female pitchers. Does anyone have a clip showing it?

There is a YouTube video of Michele Smith pitching indoors in a gymnasium. The title of the video is "Michele Smith Pitching". It looks likes she is giving a pitching clinic to softball coaches going over proper underhand throwing mechanics. As she is demonstrating the proper mechanics, she pitches the ball and brushes her side with her arm. One of the people in attendance asks her if she is hitting her hand on her leg and she demonstrates how she brushes her side with her arm.

If I was more technology savvy, I would have attached the clip.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I couldn't see much from OILFs clips. I poked around a but and found this. It is clipped from a demonstration video of hers that also has some full pitches from a good angle and I see something more akin to what Cat and Sarah do than to what RLG and Torina teach.
[video=youtube_share;ydwVkyo2khQ]http://youtu.be/ydwVkyo2khQ[/video]

Feb 5, 2010
JJ,
unless that first clip you posted of MS was of a 100% full out pitch, it is not a good example. It would not be a true measure of what she really does. Everyone has seen Finch pitch with HE when she is giving a demo JMHO Things start to get "clouded"

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
JJ,
unless that first clip you posted of MS was of a 100% full out pitch, it is not a good example. It would not be a true measure of what she really does. Everyone has seen Finch pitch with HE when she is giving a demo JMHO Things start to get "clouded"

Of course, as we all know (or should), Finch doesn't really use HE when she pitches. With her, it's a sort of after-the-fact (after IR) follow through, as if she learned to point her elbow way back when she was very young, and now it's just muscle memory.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
bump-

As I continue my training to learn how to pitch I noticed that I have no interference in my pitching. I want to teach my little one how to get some interference like her sister so I tried to learn it myself. It definitely helped my accuracy and speed, but it also made the side/front of my rear thigh pretty sore from the times I interfered too much. I felt contact down to my wrist, sometimes into the fleshy part of my hand on the pinky side, but boy did it help my control.

I have been reluctant to try to teach this, but my experience form DD1 says that when they get some interference it helps accuracy enormously. So the question is, how to go about getting the little one to trust the brush instead of leaning to let the arm pass through freely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06