Thoughts on the benefits of a longer bat over heavier drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It worked for Tony, but he was obviously something of an outlier. That doesn't disprove the concept of a longer bat giving better overall coverage; I could point to plenty of HOF players who swung tree trunks. For a taller hitter, a shorter bat could easily be a detriment when trying to reach something low on the outside corner. You need good mechanics regardless of bat size. For best overall performance, swing the biggest, heaviest bat you can use while maintaining good mechanics.
Yeah swing the biggest bat you are comfortable with but don't expect a longer bat to fix your crappy mechanics..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sure but my point was you don’t need to go longer to get sufficient plate coverage which sometimes is used as an argument to go with a longer bat...you typically need better hitting mechanics.
Bazinga!!!

And on the reverse of that

Some people will see the mechanics and say
Ya know with a longer bat that swing could reach more location.

( not picking a side to this just perspective can go either way)

Jun 8, 2016
and now your off of it... at least your not an English prof.
That was a typo and I hope you were trying to be funny with your misuse of your..
But anyway, I was just giving Rad a tough time. I am "off it" far more than I am "on it"..hopefully
you don't unleash a Bot who threatens to beat me up..

Apr 30, 2018
That was a typo and I hope you were trying to be funny with your misuse of your..
But anyway, I was just giving Rad a tough time. I am "off it" far more than I am "on it"..hopefully
you don't sic a Bot on me who threatens to beat me up..
always trying to be funny, just usually not.

Dec 11, 2010
“Plate coverage” in the same sentence as a bat length makes me want to vomit in my own lap.

The rulers in this pic are 1” wide.

One bat is a 34”, one is a 33”.

There may be a difference between which bat fits a players swing but as far as “plate coverage”, there is none.

Without even BEGINNING to talk about mechanics, where the players toes are in the box are probably 700% more important. (@pattar I’ll need you to check my ciphering on that number.)

WHY are parents driving themselves crazy with this? Why are they dropping two, three bills on a bat to “get more plate coverage”?
69512F81-7C3D-493F-AB06-3E23F2D87569.jpegAFDD8905-DF46-44BF-97CA-E4EFDC9DAE36.jpeg

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
“Plate coverage” in the same sentence as a bat length makes me want to vomit in my own lap.

The rulers in this pic are 1” wide.

One bat is a 34”, one is a 33”.

There may be a difference between which bat fits a players swing but as far as “plate coverage”, there is none.

Vertically, a grounder, a fly ball, and a line drive are all within the difference of an inch.

Along the barrel, an inch is easily the difference between contact in the sweet spot or off the end of the bat. Does foot placement and technique matter? Most certainly, but when we're talking about hitting, an inch matters.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi