Anyone build a practice mound for their DD pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
I love field maintenance discussions. We are in the process of building a bull pen at our high school. We have a net that is 12' high and 20'ft wide for the back stop. We dug out the pitching and catching area about 5" deep. We have back filled this with a really good red clay. Also the the cathcer area and the pitching area is outlined with some landscape timbers. Bermuda gross is everywhere else.

We gave the pitcher enough room behind the pitching rubber for her walk through drills. We had enough room for 52' feet I think,from the plate to the back of the pitching area. I installed 2 of the large 6"x6" pitching rubbers, the throw down ones with the 3 spikes will not last any time with teenagers wearing spikes. The big ones last forever. I have also layed a 2'wide x 6' long x 1'' thick piece of rubber in front of each pitching rubber. These are under ground about 3". This keeps those J shaped craters from forming. "Well not as bad."

I have about a 1/2" of slope so the water will run off. I am in the process of getting new infield material for this winter, and I will top dress the bull pen with the same material.

Both sides of the net will be used for Tee work, we will be able to have 4 girls at a time doing Tee work.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This sounds like a great set up. It is great what you are doing for the kids. Wish there was more people like you. Now come to my DD field. Hey, look I found my space bar. It was hiding under all these papers.

Oct 6, 2011
I do not know about anyone else, but when I sit on a bucket my knees are at the same height as a batter. I hold the gloves at my knees not up high.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I do not know about anyone else, but when I sit on a bucket my knees are at the same height as a batter. I hold the gloves at my knees not up high.

That's well and good, but the catcher is positioned behind the plate, several feet further away from the pitcher than the batter, and the ball continues to drop due to gravity. A knee high ball caught by the catcher is a meatball to the batter.

Dec 26, 2009
I broke down and decided to build a pitching practice area. Cut out sod for about 4' wide by 9' long. Depth was 3 - 4 inches. Filled up area with clay from spot recently dug up by contractor to fix a leak in our water line. Used a square hand tamper to pound the clay flat as I could. Now need to let the moisture in the clay dry out and equalize.

I think I have built a good base. All I need now is a place to get a good topping for the clay. Any ideas where to get that? Can I just use playground sand?

Also, I have an old rubber that I used when we just moved it around the yard. It is a little flimsy and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on a good rubber along with where to get it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
b-dad, I just use a white board. I went to Lowes and they cut 4 for me. (mine are 18 inches, so that I get one more) But, you could get it cut in 20 inch pieces.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Another possibility for substrate under your clay is baserock, which compacts tight, and stays put.
They use the "3/4" minus" grade as roadbed under asphalt or concrete, 2" of base per 1" of paving. The recycled type is pretty cheap, usually available at masonry supply, or building materials places.

Because it compacts so well, nothing grows up through it, but it also does not drain like sand or gravel.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Florida
So you made them without bricks? Did you have to keep refilling toe drag trenches in the clay?

Sorry about the delay. I refill the toe drag after every practice. For me part of the fun is maintaining the circle. I like to keep it game condition. Plus I love looking n the back yard and seeing the perfectly manicured practice area. Some people enjoy gardening.......I enjoy field maintenence.

Oct 6, 2011
That's well and good, but the catcher is positioned behind the plate, several feet further away from the pitcher than the batter, and the ball continues to drop due to gravity. A knee high ball caught by the catcher is a meatball to the batter.

I am position in the same spot as a catcher. Why would you want to be closer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi