Anyone build a practice mound for their DD pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Don't know sanchosj, but see he is a crowd favorite. I do agree about the bucket. I do not sit on a bucket, because early on I found my DD would throw to the glove which was high. I like to kneel down to what I think the strike zone will be. As I'm older know I find it harder to get down on my knees. Probably because I didn't use a bucket. We also practice on real circles as much as possible. I carry a pitching rubber in my truck, infact I have one on it now. As a father of a pitcher I make sure I inspect the circle (mound) before every practice. I make sure I fill it any potential hazard. I also have taught my DD to do the same everytime she walks into the circle. Sorry if I went of topic.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
My DD has adjusted to the fact that I sit on a bucket just fine. She's a pitcher. She throws to my glove, not to where my body happens to be.

I put a pitching rubber in my backyard a couple of years ago. One of the smartest things I ever did.

Oct 19, 2009
I always tell DD to use the worst mound she can find to practice and the worst ball in the bucket. IMO it makes it easier in games with a good mound and ball, if you pitch in a game with a bad mound and a rough ball then you are ready to do that also.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Don't know sanchosj,but see he is a crowd favorite.I do agree about the bucket.I do not sit on a bucket,because early on I found my DD would throw to the glove which was high.I like to kneel down to what I think the strike zone will be.As I'm older know I find it harder to get down on my knees.Probably because I didn't use a bucket.We also practice on real circles as much as possible.I carry a pitching rubber in my truck,infact I have one on it now.As a father of a pitcher I make sure I inspect the circle (mound) before every practice.I make sure I fill it any potential hazard.I also have taught my DD to do the same everytime she walks into the circle.Sorry if I went of topic.

I used a 3 gallon bucket when my dd first started out. It was perfect, now I use a 5 gallon bucket and put my mitt where she is supposed to pitch.

Every now and then I have her stand in the batters box so I can get a visual on how low or high the target can be and be in (or just out) of the strike zone.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 2336 Look at the right side of my pic.This is a cutout of a batter that I used for pitching practice.I traced my son on plywood.This gave DD a batter to throw to without fear of hitting them.If you do make one of this,always wear a mask when catching.The "batter'' wont get out of the way of bad pitches.Don't ask me how I know this.Painful lesson.Bat missing cause DD knocked it off.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Those in that pic were just laid there,because it was a work in process.They are pipe flanges.I have them now screwed down.The flanges are as wide as a 12'' softball.I have 5 flanges on the white of the plate and 1 on each side on the gray.I have them screwed down from the top blue line to the bottom blue line.I used Hitters and straightlegs measurements.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The hitting area backdrop is also hitters and straightleg measurements.2 car garage becomes hitting area in winter.Wifes car goes outside in the winter.See who the boss is at my house.......DD

Jul 17, 2012
View attachment 2336 Look at the right side of my pic.This is a cutout of a batter that I used for pitching practice.I traced my son on plywood.This gave DD a batter to throw to without fear of hitting them.If you do make one of this,always wear a mask when catching.The "batter'' wont get out of the way of bad pitches.Don't ask me how I know this.Painful lesson.Bat missing cause DD knocked it off.
I like the Batter idea. I was tempted to try and use my 4 year old to act as the batter, but DD throws just hard enough and is certainly wild enough to cause some damage!!

I also put a pitching rubber in my yard and cut out a nice circle in the grass. Didn't need anything fancy. Replaced the topsoil with a combination of some rock dust (coarse sand) and some harder soil that was under the topsoil. I found one of those kids Lil' Tikes chairs. Works great!! (Thanks Perfect Circle!!, beats a bucket anyday.) Also put a plate in my catchers area. It's an old tee base painted white. It's about 4 inches smaller than a standard plate, my hope is that it will feel like she's got a lot more wiggle room when she stares out over a regulation plate.

Jun 21, 2010
Don't know sanchosj,but see he is a crowd favorite.I do agree about the bucket.I do not sit on a bucket,because early on I found my DD would throw to the glove which was high.I like to kneel down to what I think the strike zone will be.As I'm older know I find it harder to get down on my knees.Probably because I didn't use a bucket.We also practice on real circles as much as possible.I carry a pitching rubber in my truck,infact I have one on it now.As a father of a pitcher I make sure I inspect the circle (mound) before every practice.I make sure I fill it any potential hazard.I also have taught my DD to do the same everytime she walks into the circle.Sorry if I went of topic.

Just curious. Is your space bar broken?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi