Anyone build a practice mound for their DD pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
For the past few years, when we aren't at a field, my daughter would practice in the front yard with me on the bucket, of course, 40-45 or so feet away. I did put one of those spiked pitching rubbers in the ground that she pitches from, and obviously the grass in that area has long since been wiped out. So essentially she pitches from a pitching lane that is just dirt and not clay with a brick base and we're unable to even get through a practice nowadays without stopping so that I can even out the dirt.

So anyway, I'd like to build a pitching lane for her the right way, with clay bricks and proper field covering. I have seen a couple of videos online where they are setting bricks for batters boxes so I assume it's the same, just wondering if anyone here has done it, if it was an easy project, and how much did it run you in $'s. I obviously don't need, or want, a circle. Just a lane similar in size to the indoor pitching mats.

1)Never sit on a 5 gallon bucket.89% of Dads catch for their daughters on that tall bucket then expect them to throw low strikes.Those buckets are 18 inches off the ground and the lower you sit the better she can throw low strikes.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I put a mound in my back yard at my last two homes. You can buy a scoop of the clay at most mulch/gravel places. I paid about $50 for one scoop. It is enough to do a large mound area and a home plate area. I purchased a jugs net, that we use as a screen and soft toss/Tee net. I want to say I have about $200 invested, screen and all. If you keep spraying the clay with grass killer, and rake it frequently you can keep it in great shape. I have to say that the mounds at my house are far better than any local park have. Great investment. I forgot, I added lights also. That will run you a little more.

Make sure you use something to roll the clay after you shovel the area. Just keep rolling it for a while until you get it relatively flat. I used a 2x4x8 to smooth after the initial rolling. You should be able to have a great set up in one afternoon of work.

Jan 27, 2010
Diamond Pro, Pro Mound have a web site that tells where their retailers are located in your area. If you google mound clay, there maybe other companies that have a product that is recommended. Most have the bricks and mound clay. The bags of mound clay usually run $11.00 to $13.00 per bag. The bricks are around $3.00 to $5.00 per brick. I use the mound clay and it works well. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
You don't have to make it too perfect. You want the girls to learn to pitch on some very poor surfaces. (And don't call it a mound. It is the circle.) :p

Nov 17, 2010
1)Never sit on a 5 gallon bucket.89% of Dads catch for their daughters on that tall bucket then expect them to throw low strikes.Those buckets are 18 inches off the ground and the lower you sit the better she can throw low strikes.

Where is #2?

One of the best examples of trolling I've ever seen on DFP.

Jan 27, 2010
You don't have to make it too perfect. You want the girls to learn to pitch on some very poor surfaces. (And don't call it a mound. It is the circle.) :p

That is what the manufacturers that sell the clay call it. I'm not aware of any company offering"circle clay". I agree it should be referred to as "the circle" when referring to softball because there is no mound.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
I put a mound in my back yard at my last two homes. You can buy a scoop of the clay at most mulch/gravel places. I paid about $50 for one scoop. It is enough to do a large mound area and a home plate area. I purchased a jugs net, that we use as a screen and soft toss/Tee net. I want to say I have about $200 invested, screen and all. If you keep spraying the clay with grass killer, and rake it frequently you can keep it in great shape. I have to say that the mounds at my house are far better than any local park have. Great investment. I forgot, I added lights also. That will run you a little more
Make sureyou use something to roll the clay after you shovel the area. Just keep rolling it for a while until you get it relatively flat. I used a 2x4x8 to smooth after the initial rolling. You should be able to have a great set up in one afternoon of work.

So you made them without bricks? Did you have to keep refilling toe drag trenches in the clay?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I put a pitching rubber and an 8' lane in my backyard last summer. I used a mix of clay and sand 6" deep and 36" wide framed by 2X4's on the sides. I did an inch at a time and used a heavy tamper to make it solid. After every practice I rake the pitching lane, water it down and tamp it again, occasionally adding mix when needed. Total cost was about $150.

What in the world does this post have to do with installing a pitching lane in a back yard? How about we stay on topic here.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You don't have to make it too perfect. You want the girls to learn to pitch on some very poor surfaces.

DD is learning this in MS this year and has struggled on a couple of the fields. A few have the permeate plates that are really bad. Need to put it on our list to go practice on these fields in the off season.

(Only took a couple phone calls but earlier this spring I got DD’s MS field permeate plate removed. :) )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi