Another young pitcher hurt by a ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
squishy or not squishy...that really wan't my point. My point was that mandating it for every player on a team to prevent getting hurt is different than using it to prevent INJURY. I am all for mandated use of the mask for Pitchers at 12U and above. But when this trickles into the wrap them in bubble wrap to protect them realm (like making girls in the OF wear them) I think it DETRACTS from the argument that it can be very valuable safety equipment by using them to prevent getting hurt. Getting hurt and getting injured are two very different things.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
squishy or not squishy...that really wan't my point. My point was that mandating it for every player on a team to prevent getting hurt is different than using it to prevent INJURY. I am all for mandated use of the mask for Pitchers at 12U and above. But when this trickles into the wrap them in bubble wrap to protect them realm (like making girls in the OF wear them) I think it DETRACTS from the argument that it can be very valuable safety equipment by using them to prevent getting hurt. Getting hurt and getting injured are two very different things.

Not disagreeing. Just wanted people to be aware that not every league is the same.

Jun 7, 2013
My DD sustained a serious injury in 10U while pitching off a line drive that hit her in the face while NOT wearing a face mask. Now, for sure, her and her older sister do not pitch nor play the infield without one. My personal opinion on wearing face masks can be summarized as follows:

(1) My DDs will wear their masks while pitching; and since the "incident" they do not need any urging from me.
(2) I am agnostic about my DD wearing a mask while playing 2nd base. As a choice she does.
(3) I would insist my DDs if and when they play 3rd and 1st wear their mask.
(4) I do not expect or require them to wear it in the outfield.
(5) I do not believe masks, while a great idea, should be mandated.
(6) College coaches who think less of a girl for wearing a mask are stupid.
(7) College pitchers are much better able to protect themselves than girls at lower levels and with less skills.
(8) I believe than face masks, for most girls, are not necessary in the outfield because the ball is coming slower and the player has much more time to react. Will a girl still take a ball to the face, yes, but the injury would be substantially less.

While not in favor of mandating face masks, I still strongly encourage parents/coaches to encourage the use of them as an important piece of safety equipment.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
My kid got hurt wearing a mask her first year 10s. Her jackass daddy had her practicing out in midday sun unaware that she hadn't eaten breakfast at her moms. And when his kid said she didn't feel so good, his response was " suck it up". Long story short, she passed out and hit the ground and her mask put a big scrape on her face. A visible scar for 4 years.

2 lessons - don't be a jackass daddy and don't think only a batted ball can create injury with a mask.

I will forever regret being that daddy that day.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Let's not be an alarmist here. Most softball rec leagues I'm familiar with use safety balls (reduction in force balls) until 12U so the chances of serious injury before 12U is remote. Also, gymnastics has its own share of injuries and I wouldn't be surprised if the number is greater than softball/baseball.

Most sports are inherently dangerous, but with the proper equipment and instruction, the vast majority of athletes will be fine.

I knew a Korean gymnast who broke his neck while training for the Seoul Olympics. (The accident was in NYC, where he and his family lived). He's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, and has limited use of his hands.

May 22, 2014
Indiana

COMPLETELY agree with the hurt vs. injured comment. And completely agree that the outfield use is over the top. However, I would like to see it mandated for pitchers in 10U as well. I see more danger in 10U than I do in 12U, at least in the TB around here. There is a much greater disparity in size, strength, talent amongst the girls at 10U. We've see 10U players that were 5'7" swinging big composite bats. But more scary to me is that the slower, smaller 10U girls are standing 5 ft closer to the plate than the 12U's are when they pitch. I for one will be happy to see DD move 5 ft further back in the fall.

Dec 14, 2014
My DD and I watched a high school catcher take a hard thrown ball from 3rd base to the face. Because she removed her mask to make the play at home, she lost some teeth! While my DD is on the mound or playing anywhere in the infield she has the mask on. She knows to wear it and doesn't have to be told to put it on. I have always painted her mask to match her jersey so it looks cool. I think by painting her mask different from the other players has made her want to wear it instead of being made to. She plays 12U TB, Middle School ball and 13-15 Rec.

Feb 7, 2013
I am afraid this is the ultimate goal of the pro-mask crowd and that bothers me. What's next full helmets and please don't say that's ridiculous.

It's hard to suppress progress when it comes to sports and safety equipment. I can assure you that as the game gets faster and companies get better at making safety equipment lighter, more comfortable, more affordable, and less intrusive that we will be seeing more and more players wearing additional safety equipment than just a few years ago.

Ex. have you watched college field hockey lately. Most of the players are wearing masks and mouth guards and I don't think the safety equipment takes away from the game. It's just common sense that players needs to protect themselves from injuries that could have been easily avoided. Sometimes progress when it comes to safety is a good thing....

Apr 28, 2014
Simple.....

Add up: All of the pitches in all of the at bats in all of the innings in all of the softball games played in the nation.
Now divide the number of pitchers hit in the face by a batted ball and you will have the percentage chance that your DD will be hit in the face with a batted ball.
Now, armed with the Facts you and DD can make the decision about whether or not to wear a mask.
Some will, some wont. Where insanity creeps in is where people try to pass their judgement onto others. That's why how we got into some of the trouble were in today. When people think they know better than you how to decide what's good for you.
My opinion is that a mask is a money maker for manufacturers. That said my DD has a RIP IT mask in her bag. She has the choice to wear it or not. I won't persuade her one way or another. Just like I won't force her to wear the new fangled left butt cheek protector that will be introduced by Easton the day after wearing a mask becomes a requirement.

Feb 7, 2013
Simple.....

Where insanity creeps in is where people try to pass their judgement onto others. That's why how we got into some of the trouble were in today. When people think they know better than you how to decide what's good for you.

Fair enough but let me ask you this. Should it be optional for a catcher to wear safety equipment and leave it up to the parents to decide what's best for their kids or is it best for the game to have some basic safety standards so those who play can limit their risk of being injured playing a "game"?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse