Another young pitcher hurt by a ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Here is a mandate of a slightly different kind.

I used to ride horses some as a kid. No aptitude at all. My ex-cowboy father wanted his kids to know how to ride, though.

There were a few times when DW and I went on group trips with her friends, often involving canoes, horseback riding, etc. We would generally go horseback riding in NY state, which has a very strict law that the customers MUST all wear helmets while riding the horses.

When DD #3 was 3 years old, we went horseback riding in Wisconsin with my wife and some of her family and friends. No such law in Wisconsin. In fact, the stable didn't even offer helmets, not even to the kids.

Since DD #3 was small, she rode the horse in my lap. I was the best rider of the bunch, pathetic as that may be.

At one point the horse stepped in a hole. DD #3 and I slid off the horse, onto the ground DD #3 was in between me and the horse.

The horse's back hoof came down about an inch or two from DD #3's head.

A lot of things were running through my mind at that time. "Gee, I'm glad Wisconsin doesn't force stables to provide helmets to riders" was NOT one of them.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
we already have basic safety standards, and they seem to be working pretty good. You can have required safety standards and recommended. If masks were strongly recommended safety equipment for pitchers and corners or infielders in general, maybe that would pave the way to lesson the stigma. I'm just thinking out loud. I'm pro mask, but I'm also pro freedom to make my own decisions.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD gets hit or knicked almost every game by errant pitches and foul tips behind the plate. I doubt if a pitcher was getting hit every day we'd have this conversation but in reality the number must be pretty low when you consider how many pitchers throw x number of pitches every day.

Apr 28, 2014
Fair enough but let me ask you this. Should it be optional for a catcher to wear safety equipment and leave it up to the parents to decide what's best for their kids or is it best for the game to have some basic safety standards so those who play can limit their risk of being injured playing a "game"?

If we dressed our kids in full mideveil body armor we would completely eliminate the chances for injury.
As silly as that sounds if left unchecked that's were will end up.
I believe in reasonable safety requirements. A catcher wearing full gear seems reasonable to me. I've had the pleasure of having my shins introduced to a 55 mph fastball that missed more than once.
I believe that a mask is overkill for experienced fielders. Could I be wrong? Yes. Could I be right? Yes.
It's a personal choice and should remain that way.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Still cannot get past the disingenuous player safety argument with regard to mandating fielders masks. At least be honest that it is not about player safety it is about protecting girls faces and their self-esteem. Nothing more. Nothing less. And there is nothing wrong with that. But please do not attempt to make this into something that it clearly is not. If it truly were about player safety we would be talking about the multitude of other risks. Until those are included in the discussion this is not an issue of player safety, it is about protecting girls faces and their self-esteem.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Still cannot get past the disingenuous player safety argument with regard to fielders masks. At least be honest that it is not about player safety it is about protecting girls faces and their self-esteem. Nothing more. Nothing less. And there is nothing wrong with that. But please do not attempt to make this into something that it clearly is not. If it truly were about player safety we would be talking about the multitude of other risks. Until those are included in the discussion this is not an issue of player safety, it is about protecting girls faces and their self-esteem.

I disagree. What does self esteem have to with it? Our local rec league only started making pitchers wear masks a few years ago when a 12u player took a line drive to her face and essentially ended her pitching "career". Maybe the league was worried about lawsuits, who knows but it got my DD use to wearing a mask and she continues to wear one in travel ball where it's optional.

I can buy the argument that there is not enough injuries without a mask that it shouldn't be mandatory but all I ask is that coaches don't discriminate against those players who want to wear one. Masks don't make them weak players no matter what some posters think.

I also think there should be a certain level of safety standards like safety bag at 1st base and batting helmets for all batters so that playing a softball game isn't the Wild Wild West.

Dec 14, 2014
I can tell by reading everyone's posts that this is a sore subject and an unwinnable argument. Do I think wearing a face mask should be made mandatory, NO. In today's society people tend to go overboard with rules and regulations. If we passed another rule or regulation every time a child got hurt playing a sport we would soon regulate ourselves right out of the game. In fastpitch today softball bats are getting hotter, players are starting at earlier ages, more athletic, competitive and just playing at an all around higher level every year. The old thought of you don't need a mask, that's what you have a glove for is becoming a dangerous way of thinking. Do I think everyone playing an infield position should wear one? Yes, but that should be between the parents and coaches. A coach should never look down on a player of any age, if She or He wants to protect themselves and a parent should never think their child is to good to need one. Just my MHO.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I disagree. What does self esteem have to with it? Our local rec league only started making pitchers wear masks a few years ago when a 12u player took a line drive to her face and essentially ended her pitching "career". Maybe the league was worried about lawsuits, who knows but it got my DD use to wearing a mask and she continues to wear one in travel ball where it's optional.

I can buy the argument that there is not enough injuries without a mask that it shouldn't be mandatory but all I ask is that coaches don't discriminate against those players who want to wear one. Masks don't make them weak players no matter what some posters think.

I also think there should be a certain level of safety standards like safety bag at 1st base and batting helmets for all batters so that playing a softball game isn't the Wild Wild West.

The call for a mandate absolutely includes the issue of self esteem as evidenced by the recurring comments that it will serve to remove the "stigma" associated with wearing one. Which in all likelihood it will, but lets have some transparency with regard to motive here. Why is there no call for a mandate to include heart guards? Why are we letting a catcher remove their helmet for a play at the plate? Shall we discuss showing bunt, pulling back and hammering the ball at the corner? Why is there no call to include baseball in a mandate? After all the physics at the lower levels are virtually identical yet there is no call for the same action. Why? Because it is easier to get past a boy getting hit in the face than a girl. For a boy 10 stitches and a scar is a badge of honor for a girl it is a traumatic, life changing event. Again, I take no issue with that but lets keep it real. This is not a simple protect the kids from harm discussion. It is more complex.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Still cannot get past the disingenuous player safety argument with regard to mandating fielders masks. At least be honest that it is not about player safety it is about protecting girls faces and their self-esteem. Nothing more. Nothing less. And there is nothing wrong with that. But please do not attempt to make this into something that it clearly is not. If it truly were about player safety we would be talking about the multitude of other risks. Until those are included in the discussion this is not an issue of player safety, it is about protecting girls faces and their self-esteem.

So your saying the only reason I want my dd to wear a mask is so that her face stays pretty? because protecting her face cosmetically will protect her self esteem?
I also want my son to wear one when playing baseball, is that to protect his pretty face and self esteem?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So your saying the only reason I want my dd to wear a mask is so that her face stays pretty? because protecting her face cosmetically will protect her self esteem?
I also want my son to wear one when playing baseball, is that to protect his pretty face and self esteem?

No, that is not what I am saying. Protecting her face from injury and the preservation of self esteem are two different yet related motivations for the call for a mandate. I take it you son also wears a mask while playing baseball? If that is not the case, then why not?