An explanation of my absence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Thank you for sharing your story and the enlightenment you've learned along the way. I am grateful as your sharing helps with my perspective and I'm sure many others as well.
You are fortunate to have come out the other side with a strong wife and new balanced way of approaching having both of your loves. Wife and softball

I wish you and your wife continued success past the big C.
Now... Get to posting dear sir, you've got some time to make up for!

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
I've probably spent most my time here when you were gone so we have not met. But I too have a wife who went through breast cancer. About 20 years ago. She's 50 now and doing great. We tell everyone she never lost her hair from the chemo. It's in an ice cream pail in the basement. Glad to have you around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I won't make this long and drawn out, but I left the community overnight, no posts, no explanation of why. I've felt ashamed, because I had grown very close to many on here, but just couldn't bring myself to discuss what was going on. For that, I apologize.

I've been out of pocket for almost a year. Haven't even sat foot near a diamond. Wife got breast cancer last August, the whole nine yards.........double mastectomy, chemo, some organ problems, reconstruction surgery.

It was quite the slap in the face for me, as during the process I felt very guilty for the neglect of time I spent over the years being a ballpark junkie, too many hours away from the Mrs., all the years traveling the country with daughter's team, decades of watching local spring high school games of players from family to friends to co-workers, sometimes watching games that I had no ties at all.....just drove by and stopped to see the talent of the games I love. ( baseball - softball )

Fast forward, she now has a clean bill of health. Will be returning to work next month. Life is getting back to normal, physically and mentally for us both.

My wife being the comedian she is, told me last week she was grateful for being around the house more, but my ballpark "time" was also HER time to do things with her female friends, and basically said "get out of the house ........so I'll be glad when you come home". lol

I'm trying to get my feet wet again, S-L-O-W-L-Y. Along with trying to balance the fact that our "number" can come up at anytime. Tomorrow is never promised, to be with our family.

Welcome back. Your DW is one a tough cookie - obviously cut from catcher cloth. Every tomorrow is a gift that shouldn't be taken for granted.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Cancer is very tricky.
My father was predicted to survive, he died almost 30 years ago.
My father-in-law was predicted to die 20 years ago. He survived, had a lesser remission, and is doing great.

I am so happy your DW is doing well. May she live a long and healthy life!

Jan 25, 2011
Missed you man. I'm glad your DW is doing better. May your wives strength grow and prove to others, that love has no limits. I will pray for your whole family.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619