Amanda Sanchez playing with her eye taped open.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
A few weeks ago I took DD to a Big 10 softball game: Wisconsin hosting Iowa. Alas, Iowa won 3-2 in the 10th. Not one player wore a mask during the game.

HOWEVER, after the game they hosted a free softball clinic, 12U down to 4U. Some of the girls in the clinic were wearing masks. One of the Wisconsin players (probably on the bench during the game) praised the girls for wearing masks, and said she wore one, too. Which tells me that masks are prohibited at Wisconsin, at least.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
NO!!! I made a typo and completely ruined the whole point!

I meant that masks are NOT prohibited. Because one of the players, even if she didn't play that game, uses a mask.

My apologies for being a complete idiot again.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
NO!!! I made a typo and completely ruined the whole point!

I meant that masks are NOT prohibited. Because one of the players, even if she didn't play that game, uses a mask.

My apologies for being a complete idiot again.

Ahhh, and I thought you were drawing big inferences from what you saw. Whew!

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Actually, her eye is not taped open. The ball caused a cut above her eye, and the butterflies are there to close the wound. Used to see this in boxing a lot!

I give boxers, ultimate fighters and rugby players props for being the toughest of the tough. I recently read "Million Dollar Baby" (the book that the movie is based upon) - it's actually a collection of short stories about boxing. Who knew that in boxing there is such a person as the "cut man" - the guy whose job it is to STOP THE BLEEDING. Holy Cow. Apparently a good cut man is highly sought after.

My DS plays rugby - his pediatrician was ready to call social services until my son piped up and explained that he played rugby. Softball players have their own brand of tough - my DD got two black eyes when she was 10. Took a bad hop which tagged the one eye and it drained just right into the other eye - giving her the double shiner. Her little fifth grade boyfriend took one look at her the next day and immediately broke up with her. DD and the boy are still classmates - the are now juniors in high school and DD still hasn't forgiven him.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Rugby players are their own special kind of crazy.

I think I mentioned in another thread, my son and I took some lessons from a karate sensei, a 5th degree black belt, who got his butt whupped the first few times he got into fights on a rugby field. After that, he taught rugby-player fighting to his karate students.

Jul 3, 2013
Actually, her eye is not taped open. The ball caused a cut above her eye, and the butterflies are there to close the wound. Used to see this in boxing a lot!

She didn't leave the game Friday, and I never saw any blood. I believe it was taped open.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32