Amanda Sanchez playing with her eye taped open.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So according to the anti mask folks, she needs to work on her fundamentals more so that won't happen to her.
As a solid player, she would have never had a ball hit her like that.

Couldn't resist :p

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well that's 1 point for the face mask debate.

I do not see much of a debate here. I am not aware of anyone telling her she couldn't. There are two fringe groups with respect to face masks. There are the old school hardliners that oppose wearing them. And there are the nannies that feel everyone must wear them and want them mandated. Based on the many posts in the multitude of threads on DFP and elsewhere the vast majority seem to feel that it is not an issue and it is a choice best left up to the individual and/or her parents.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2014
Well that's 1 point for the face mask debate.

Right, good thing she was wearing that mask. Otherwise, she might not have been able to play the next day. :eek:

Maybe she should have fractured her jaw and shown how tough she really is. Or what real player can go through the airport without the metal plate in her face setting off the metal detector. And the ability to form sentences is for pansies. Yeah that's the spirit.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Friday Amanda Sanchez had a bad hop that connected with her eye. Yesterday she played with it taped open.

Actually, her eye is not taped open. The ball caused a cut above her eye, and the butterflies are there to close the wound. Used to see this in boxing a lot!

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
I do not see much of a debate here. I am not aware of anyone telling her she couldn't. There are two fringe groups with respect to face masks. There are the old school hardliners that oppose wearing them. And there are the nannies that feel everyone must wear them and want them mandated. Based on the many posts in the multitude of threads on DFP and elsewhere the vast majority seem to feel that it is not an issue and it is a choice best left up to the individual and/or her parents.

I just got my hands on a 2015 survey, of which about 50 Div1 coaches responded to the question "Would you activley recruit a player that wears a face mask"?. It's odd, around 75% said they would but when you read the "explain your answer" section... most said it had to be a stud pitcher that was adamant about wearing it (one they couldn't live without like Nunley) or there had to be a prior face injury. Oh, and it could only be corner players with face injuries. Why must you sustain an injury before it's allowed? So when you read between the lines, it's more like less then 5% that would truly recruit a player that wears a face mask purely because they're just more comfortable with it.

I liken it to seat belts. I try to remember to put mine on. Some times I forget because when i was growing up we didn't use them. However, my kids never forget because they've worn them from day one. They feel more comfortable with them. Would anyone look down on a driver; question their ablility to drive or their confidence because they wear a seat belt. I think not. I would hope not.

#1, first and foremost, I do not believe in mandating it. However, we have had a very hard discussion about this survey. She likes to wear it at SS and is reluctant to remove it. But she doesn't want a coach to walk away because of it. So we came up with a possible solution. If she's not comfortable with the field condition, she'll put it on. My guess is she'll get use to not having it on and stop using it all together. For better or for worse. I"ll leave it up to her.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32