Amanda describes her follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Because I don't know if you teasing or serious.......Pronation is the "result" of internally rotating the forearm...;)

And in the first video, that's what she's doing. Yes, there is some internal rotation of the shoulder, but not much. She starts to internally rotate, then externally rotates to HE. Personally, it's not a clip I would use to show internal rotation.

The 2nd video, most of the arm movement is hidden after release, but I'd say she's internally rotating the shoulder.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
In the first video, I'm seeing 180 degrees+ rotation of the humerus from 8-5... My understanding is that it is impossible to ER the humerus during the release phase when throwing a ball underhand.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Yes, there is some internal rotation of the shoulder, but not much

amanda_arm_follow_zpsyc1fso8j.gif

IMHO, if you focus on her bicep from the top of the circle to when her arm is virtually extended palm down, there is a significant amount of IR.

amanda_ir_zpsk8ocjpnv.png

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We're trying to pick the fly poop from the pepper here. I think the point is that her instruction is evolving and her understanding is catching up to what she actually does, that is a good thing. If you look at her FB page she has slow motion vids, GIFs that isolate certain portions of the motion etc. Looks like she is doing it right. Seems to me like she might be the first former female all american pitcher turned instructor to really use video analysis to inform her instruction. Kudos. Whether or not she uses the same lexicon to describe it doesn't matter. It would be nice for her to give a nod to the site though, it does seem like maybe DFP was one of her sources.

Jun 18, 2010
knightsb,

I thought the subject of this thread was follow through. Even in your original post you quoted from Amanda AFTER I release the ball. So which is it, before or after?

I'm not sure I understand your question. I was simply trying to share a facebook post Amanda made. Those who have been following for a while can see how Amanda's instruction has been evolving since visiting DFP.

Jul 14, 2008
And in the first video, that's what she's doing. Yes, there is some internal rotation of the shoulder, but not much. She starts to internally rotate, then externally rotates to HE. Personally, it's not a clip I would use to show internal rotation.

The 2nd video, most of the arm movement is hidden after release, but I'd say she's internally rotating the shoulder.

Ok, I have no idea what you're talking about now. In fact her shoulder rotation is a full 270 degrees.

amanda_arm_follow_zpsyc1fso8j.gif

Her bicep turns from facing rearward at 9:00 to facing inward at 3:00 on the follow through. That is a full 3/4 of a circle.

And if you look carefully, her forearm also rotates 270 degrees from facing up at 9:00, internally rotating/pronating passed facing down to facing outward at 3:00 in front of her. So there are 2 limbs rotating a full 270 degrees.

This clip is a poster child for internal rotation.

As far as the follow through, I wrote sometime back about the difference between hello elbow and elbow bend caused by energy dissipation that I describe as "I/R Recoil".

That's what I see happening to Amanda. I/R Recoil to dissipate the energy she generates because of 2 rotating limbs of 270 degrees.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06