Am I the only one??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2015
Its a battle in some areas. I live in the country and the girls on our HS team normally play more then one varsity sport. But we play in a league with teams from the Metro Detroit area and they tend to be more specialized. It was tough to find good travel teams that were willing to accept a multi sport athlete. We basically had to start our own.

If you want to attract good players to your team and have a shorter schedule then other groups I would lead with that. I would advertise the heck out of the fact that you are developing softball players who also play other sports. Treat this as a strength not a weakness. Right now you end up with other orgs cast offs. Believe me, your dd is not the only girl who plays more then one sport who wants to be able to enjoy her travel experience without having to look over her shoulder because she has other commitments. You will attract good players who will appreciate your team atmosphere.

In my view your team's culture is a good one, nurture it and celebrate it, you are on the right track.

Thank you....I appreciate it. It's very unfortunate that people feel she has to choose one sport and that is just the way it is despite research and professionals encourage multiple activities.

Sep 11, 2015
In the current climate of high-level youth sports it's not about keeping up with the Jones's, it's about being the Jones's.

I'd NEVER want me children to believe they need to be like everyone else or be the mold. I want them to have a childhood that is healthy, fun and not full of expectations unless it's their own.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Thank you....I appreciate it. It's very unfortunate that people feel she has to choose one sport and that is just the way it is despite research and professionals encourage multiple activities.
try playing 3 sports and being in the marching band. My dd only had problems with her volleyball coach but it was frustrating.

Jan 23, 2014
Parents, players, teams and orgs are all afraid not some, many.
I completely agree. There are at least 2 other sets of parents on my DDs team who wish that softball wasn't played nearly year round(and we live MO where you can't play outside for 4 months). But we also know that it's the difference between a spot on a good team or not. The rec leagues here are not good and there are too many competive teams so when you find a good fit you have to jump on and do as expected.

Sep 11, 2015
I completely agree. There are at least 2 other sets of parents on my DDs team who wish that softball wasn't played nearly year round(and we live MO where you can't play outside for 4 months). But we also know that it's the difference between a spot on a good team or not. The rec leagues here are not good and there are too many competive teams so when you find a good fit you have to jump on and do as expected.

Yeah....the rec here is HORRIBLE. The get maybe 2-3 teams at each division. Playing other teams outside of the league is hard. There are A TON of comp teams but each one is at least 25 minutes outside of where I live. Now, that's not too bad but I work 30-40 minutes (depending on traffic) from home. I'm trying to build a community team with the expectations that I would have for the team but it's really hard. Many girls are playing elsewhere.

Feb 3, 2011
In the current climate of high-level youth sports it's not about keeping up with the Jones's, it's about being the Jones's.
Truth. Even if parents were fully aware that little Suzie had a zero percent chance to become the next Mike Trout or Serena Williams, they still wouldn't care.

That said, I told Mo's mom that I didn't give a damn about the Joneses. She bought the kid an iPhone anyway. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06