Am I the only one??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
As they say - If ifs and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas. You can lament all you want about how you think it should be, and your view about what is best for kids, but that will not change a thing. I get the idea that this is much more your issue than your daughters. It sounds like she should not be playing TB and maybe rec would be a better fit for her. If you do not want to commit to one sport, then don't. It is that simple. But don't expect the world to change to suit your needs. You asked if you are the only one? The answer is no, but like it or not you are in the minority opinion on this issue.
Do you really think she's got the minority opinion? Or is it that the "softball bosses" are in control of what that opinion ought to be? I understand that injuries are a part of life regardless of what sports a kid plays, but if I kid has a nagging elbow injury from year-round softball or a shoulder issue related to playing volleyball for years on end with few breaks, doesn't it stand to reason that maybe, just maybe, an extended break would do the body some good? Of course there are kids who'll play a single sport forever and rarely have these issues, but just looking around out here, it seems like those are the young athletes who are the exception to the rule when it comes to health. Maybe that's just what I want - or rather DON'T want - to see, too, but I tend to be pretty slow when it comes to reaching conclusions.

There's nothing wrong with every single player wanting to play at the highest possible level for their ability, but the reality is that the majority of players I see at tournaments are not future scholarship players. The numbers just don't work out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do you really think she's got the minority opinion? Or is it that the "softball bosses" are in control of what that opinion ought to be? I understand that injuries are a part of life regardless of what sports a kid plays, but if I kid has a nagging elbow injury from year-round softball or a shoulder issue related to playing volleyball for years on end with few breaks, doesn't it stand to reason that maybe, just maybe, an extended break would do the body some good? Of course there are kids who'll play a single sport forever and rarely have these issues, but just looking around out here, it seems like those are the young athletes who are the exception to the rule when it comes to health. Maybe that's just what I want - or rather DON'T want - to see, too, but I tend to be pretty slow when it comes to reaching conclusions.

There's nothing wrong with every single player wanting to play at the highest possible level for their ability, but the reality is that the majority of players I see at tournaments are not future scholarship players. The numbers just don't work out.

Yes, definitely in the minority otherwise things would be different. Here is a novel thought, if you do not want to play all year then don't. If your kid needs a break then take one, but do not expect everyone to sit around waiting on you. Put your big kid pants on, make a decision, then own it. But enough of the whining about how it is not right because it does not fit your view of how things should be.

Jun 12, 2015
And many of your kids will play pick up for the teams playing championships in July/August. Many won't come back. Happens all the time.
This is what we did when our season ended in June. After PCB we had several weeks off during tryouts. It was enough for my daughter. Her dad and I could watch her play 24/7. ;) But we try hard to be aware of her attitude and if she needs a break she'll get one. She's one of those nearly tireless kids who pretty much never gets sick of it.

IME, in travel ball, the OP's thoughts are definitely the minority. Most of us (TB parents and kids) are crazy. :)

Nov 29, 2009
Yes, definitely in the minority otherwise things would be different. Here is a novel thought, if you do not want to play all year then don't. If your kid needs a break then take one, but do not expect everyone to sit around waiting on you. Put your big kid pants on, make a decision, then own it. But enough of the whining about how it is not right because it does not fit your view of how things should be.

In the current climate of high-level youth sports it's not about keeping up with the Jones's, it's about being the Jones's.

Aug 12, 2014
M
Its a battle in some areas. I live in the country and the girls on our HS team normally play more then one varsity sport. But we play in a league with teams from the Metro Detroit area and they tend to be more specialized. It was tough to find good travel teams that were willing to accept a multi sport athlete. We basically had to start our own.

If you want to attract good players to your team and have a shorter schedule then other groups I would lead with that. I would advertise the heck out of the fact that you are developing softball players who also play other sports. Treat this as a strength not a weakness. Right now you end up with other orgs cast offs. Believe me, your dd is not the only girl who plays more then one sport who wants to be able to enjoy her travel experience without having to look over her shoulder because she has other commitments. You will attract good players who will appreciate your team atmosphere.

In my view your team's culture is a good one, nurture it and celebrate it, you are on the right track.

This. Promote your team as playing a shorter season and find like-minded parents and players.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06