Advice is appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2011
She is a continual work of good and bad habits :)

**Video didnt work, I will try again..

Attachments

• lu-7-8-12.jpg
    lu-7-8-12.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
May 16, 2010

I see four things, but two may be just because it's a tee swing.

1. She sways back into load and gets her head too far back over her back foot. Keep the head just a bit inside the back knee. This could be a tee only action, but check what she does with a pitched ball. Keep the head inside of the back foot, or even the knee.

2. She turns her front shoulder in too far. This also happens often when hitting off of a tee. The front shoulder shouldn't turn in much farther than the front hip. But, it then tries to stay in, as the lower half starts. Check what she does on this with a pitched ball also.

3. It's hard to tell if the barrel is wrapping or if it's just because she over turned the shoulders. But, the barrel should not get on the pitcher's side of her head. The barrel should be approximately above the center point between the feet. Not on the front foot side.

4. Her hands finish too high, IMO. I call it the "girly" finish. Especially on a ball that high in the zone, the hands should finish at the shoulder, not at the neck. This isn't golf.

Other than that, I see very good leg action, I see the hands staying back and the top hand getting through. Good shift and rotation.

Looks very good.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
The first thing I noticed is that her shoulders turn front shoulder in torwards the plate,back shoulder torwards the 3rd base dugout,I think she needs to learn how to get her negative move or walking away from her hands and not turn her shoulders like what she is doing now.Her lower half or hips need to start her swing first,her hands need to go after the hips. thats my 2 cents.

May 16, 2010
The first thing I noticed is that her shoulders turn front shoulder in torwards the plate,back shoulder torwards the 3rd base dugout,I think she needs to learn how to get her negative move or walking away from her hands and not turn her shoulders like what she is doing now.Her lower half or hips need to start her swing first,her hands need to go after the hips. thats my 2 cents.

Her lower half does go first. I agree with the rest of what you said, as I stated in my reply.

Her shoulders, hands, bat don't move until well after the front heel is down, and the hips are starting to rotate.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Her lower half does goes first. I agree with rest of what you said, as I stated in my reply.

Her shoulders, hands, bat don't move until well after front heel is down, and the hips are starting to rotate.
I went back and looked at her swing again for some reason the video is hard to load on my PC.But I agree with you,on the hips now that I had a chance to watch it more.

Nov 29, 2011
That was the first thing I noticed, was the bat wrapping, but good point by jbooth....it just may be the excessive shoulder turning in the loading phase. I dont see this in live, but will look again, she may just be extra winding up to smash the ball. I also teach to keep that rear knee inside the foot, but it seems important to her to develop a bad habit every week :)

I will say she made instant improvement after watching the Dr.Yeager-throw the barrel video. She had always been weak with the top hand, then "DING", she got it! I've been trying to get her to drive the top hand through for a year and Dr. Yeager fixed it in 5 minutes, grrrrrrrrr

Thanks for the input thus far. Any drills/tricks/or cues used to minimize the shoulder turn?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not a batting expert, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express one time, and I think your DD may have a hard time getting around on faster pitching because she 'overloads' when she turns in her front shoulder as her first move. Most hitting instructors I know prefer to do all 'negative movement' during the load, so that the first move on the swing is to the ball.

Nov 29, 2011
I agree with you, she is overloading, though we base all timing on when the front foot touches, all this extra crap is before the pitch, but your right we have work to do!

I am not a batting expert, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express one time, and I think your DD may have a hard time getting around on faster pitching because she 'overloads' when she turns in her front shoulder as her first move. Most hitting instructors I know prefer to do all 'negative movement' during the load, so that the first move on the swing is to the ball.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Stever

Like booth said.
1. Swaying back, try to keep load inside of back leg
2. Like booth said , but I call it loading around the corner.
Load bottom half around corner....ok. Try not to tork top half.

3. Here is the one thing I teach to girls different than boys. Howard taught me this.
The back elbow on most girls that start with it that high in the swing will slot 3-6 inches before the front elbow moves.
Slow the swing down you will see it.
It makes the front elbow fly out to quick. Front elbow should travel 2-4 inches straight before it goes up a ramp.

That will also change your finish with it more out and around verses too steep over the shoulder.

ps. Howard calls it the roof of a house
I made that change to a 6th grader, 11 year old I work with.
She has hit 4 hr this travel ball season already. Last one was over a fence. She called from the field.
Not bragging, just telling you how it effected her swing

Good Luck
SL

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1