Ads for players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
“Looking for bracket pitcher, dominant catcher, mobile SS and speedy OF with power to add to our strong core”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Joke....actually saw that post...almost verbatim about 3 weeks ago. Essentially you don't have a team.

Jul 14, 2018
DD’s team has 12 players, the goal is 13. They have put ads online that they’re looking for one more. If a terrific player finds themselves without a team for whatever reason and they come and join, there’s no question that they will start if they have the ability.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I don't know that is necessarily true. In our area there seem to be teams with a planned roster of 12 but currently have 11, or 13 and have 12 etc.. They'll stay with their 11 unless they find someone who fits with their program. That doesn't mean bench players. That is dependent on the coach/coaching philosophy. I know teams that play everyone quite a bit...so not true "bench" players and I know that there are others that play best 9 and others sit. I can't get from the posts that they are looking for bench players-unless you know the team/coach and their past patterns/philosophy.

Yes my DD would be OK trying out under those circumstances. We have several friends that did not jump at offers right away. Things change. And they both found their "dream" team by being patient. YMMV.

Finally there are girls that just want to play and if they get on a team...more power to them. Help grow the game and the skills regardless of the level that they are currently at.

I don't know about that.... When they use terms like "utility" and "rounding out a roster" to me that screams we have our starting 9. Most HC's and AC's have DD's on the team that start and returning players usually get first choice so coming in from the outside you need to be really good when your chance comes or be prepared to sit a lot.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD’s team has 12 players, the goal is 13. They have put ads online that they’re looking for one more. If a terrific player finds themselves without a team for whatever reason and they come and join, there’s no question that they will start if they have the ability.

So if HC or AC's DD is the teams starting SS or catcher and a better SS or catcher shows up to tryout.... there is NO QUESTION???? You can not be serious!
Try to find a good team with no parents as coaches. It is hard but can be done.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Almost all of the teams is in this area have already held tryouts. But it seems as though some teams are short a player or two. There is a website many local teams use to advertise for players . Here is are examples which are indicative of most of them.

The XXX 10U Team is looking for a couple more players to round out the 2021 Team. Please reach out ASAP via Text to Coach XXXX or reply to this message, private tryout dates coming soon...Thanks!

XXX are looking for 1 player to finish out our 18U Roster. Looking for an outfielder or a utility player preferably.

XXX looking for more players to round out their young U10 team! Birth year 2011. You can call XXXXX or email them at XXXX Great program with a strong foundation.

The thing that stands out to me is that these teams appear to be looking for bench players. Would your DD be OK trying out for a team under those circumstances? I realize that there is a fine line for the coaches between keeping your current roster that tried out and accepted happy and trying to find that last player or 2 that have some ability yet may not start.
Believe me. If your dd can rake, they will find a way to get her in the lineup.

Oct 26, 2019
So if HC or AC's DD is the teams starting SS or catcher and a better SS or catcher shows up to tryout.... there is NO QUESTION???? You can not be serious!
I don’t disagree with the notion that parent coaches can be a bad situation at times. However, I offer our situation as a good example. I am the (parent) head coach of our 10U team and we have 2 (parent) assistant coaches. My daughter bats 6 or 7 usually and the 2 AC’s daughters bat 9 and 10 or sometimes 11 or 12. Their daughters play outfield and mine plays 2B and pitches. She is our #3 pitcher when she isn’t playing 2B. Would be hard to call any of that favoritism.

*edited to add - she’s also the only kid I have raised my voice at in over 2 years and probably deserves to bat higher in the order, but I err on the side of caution and not favoritism.

Jul 14, 2018

No parent coaches in DD’s whole org, at any level. Not hard to find, just expensive!

Jun 8, 2016
Wouldn’t be an issue for me but I like winning more than I like my DD...😉

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Reasons for 'Favoritism' dont always make sense.
Can have nothing to do with talent.

As others commented, ask questions, listen for good answers! Interview the team, as they are interviewing you.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi