A Little Scared for my Daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2014
Honest question: why are you not trusting her coaches to put her in the right position and be sure she is ready? If you like the team and coaches and are, as you say, "new to this" let them do their thing and sit back and enjoy it. Let your enthusiasm=enjoyment, not stress. She'll do fine and if not she'll learn and get better : )

I completely trust the coaches. But they have said that we should work with the girls in between practices and just want to do what I can to help her. BTW this is not something I express to the coaches. I am just happy they picked her :) I want to do what I can to help her that's all. I am thrilled with the situation albeit admittedly a little scared for her as I stated in the OP. I'm sure you know what I mean, we all want our kids to do well and I'm a little afraid she's a tad over her head but like you said the coaches would not put her there if they didn't think she was ready. BTW it's a first year 14U club so I'm sure they will grow together.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, to face mask or don't let her play.

I would borrow a pitching machine and set it up at home plate and then, shoot balls at her, while gradually increasing the speed. Also, include the slooooow rollers. :)

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD #1 was 3B. Starting with 14u, she played so far in it made me nervous. She refused to wear a mask, but at least agreed to wear a mouth guard. Her reflexes were lightning fast, and she never had any problems at third. However, she has perfect teeth without ever having worn braces. Her teeth needed to be protected.

DD #3 doesn't wear a mask playing rec ball, unless she is catching. For TB she wears a mask at any infield position. In TB, she plays P, SS and 3B, as well as OF. Unless she is playing OF, she wears a mask.

One time her PC saw DD #3 in a TB game, wearing sunglasses and a mask. PC said she looked like an alien bug. Yes, but an alien bug with all her teeth.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Coaches just moved DD from 2B to 3B on our 14U A team and I made her start wearing her mask again. She (and Mom if you can believe that) were a little resistant for the first five minutes, but the first ball hit to her was a screaming line drive. No comments from the peanut gallery after that hit. All has been well since and DD has been displaying her cat like reflexes while flashing her leather. Good luck to your DD at 3B.

Back to the fields today. So far we are undefeated in bracket play this weekend ....

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
Google Kate Drohan Everydays, Kate is HC at Northwestern, this is a drill she does every day, hence the name, with her team. This is a great drill that will improve anyone's glove skills if done properly. I agree with others here, parental over-ride, you will wear a mask. Another drill I use for improving reaction time is a "2-ball drill." Player and partner (or coach, parent) each have a ball, they stand a normal warm-up distance apart, facing each other. Both will throw the ball to the other person at the same time. I stress concentration on making a good throw which then forces them to react to make the catch. As skills develop this can also become a good conditioning drill.
Well good luck to DD and family, welcome to the crazy world of travel sports.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
Is this your fear or her fear? First of all, you need to learn proper fielding technique, from Kobata typically, which includes putting with the glove foot forward, scooping short hops, not piking at the waist to expose the face, etc. Hitting balls and seeing what happens is not helpful. A mask should not be a crutch for your fear. I dislike them but I can't tell you what to do with your kids' faces.

Second, you play the depth that is comfortable to you, and learn to be fast. The days of halfway to home plate are gone. Most 3Bs now play back and work on their moving forward technique and of course, a strong arm does not hurt if you want to play back.

The last thing is to make sure her eyes are checked to see if she needs correction (this is for all ages). I am shocked today now how many kids, teens and young adults need glasses or contacts.

I admit our players are older, but at JV level, we have several new players and several inexperienced players. Rarely are any of them scared until someone puts the idea into their head.

^^^^ This is the most accurate statement I have seen yet. The get her a mask replies are ridiculous and show a lack of understanding all together. Don't go out there smoking balls at her as that is no help. She needs to learn the proper footwork, glove work, and body positions to help maintain her safety. Yes balls will be yanked down the line and the best fielders will have little to no time to react, guess what that is part of playing 3rd. Hit her soft rollers or hand toss them everyday. Hopefully someone is teaching her the proper techniques and this just helps reinforce what she is learning and begin to create muscle memory.

Jan 25, 2011
^^^^ This is the most accurate statement I have seen yet. The get her a mask replies are ridiculous and show a lack of understanding all together.
So, with all your vast experiences. Tell me how all these other posters show a lack of understanding? Since most of those other posters have been doing this for several years with their own dds playing in college now.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
The lack of understanding was directed to the posters who's solution was to get her a facemask. That's my opinion due to my fast experience in common sense. Oh and I would love for someone to go and pull the statistics of D-1 players wearing face masks at 3rd...I'll be waiting.

Jan 25, 2011
There is a old thread on here that shows several D1 players starting to wear mask. Go look for yourself. As far as the whole vast experience comment, I see your involved with a 01 team, not saying you couldn't have been coaching longer, but a 01 team is hardly out of 12u. There is a Big difference at 14u from 12u.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The lack of understanding was directed to the posters who's solution was to get her a facemask. That's my opinion due to my fast experience in common sense. Oh and I would love for someone to go and pull the statistics of D-1 players wearing face masks at 3rd...I'll be waiting.

There are few, but not many. As nanotech points out though they are starting to become a bit more common.

But most 14U players will also not be playing D1 college in the future.

I agree with those that say learning proper fielding technique is the most important. I also think that girls who are playing 3B should wear a mask. Doubly so if they are somewhat inexperienced at the position and moving up against a stronger level of competition. Just my $0.02 do with it what you will.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06