9 Yo Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hi All, I have been watching and reading on this wonderful site for a while now. I decided to post a couple of Videos of my 9yo DD. She decided about 6 months ago to take up pitching. We were seeing a PC for a little but had to stop for a bit. We practice about 3-4 times a week the best we can... I just wanted to get some opinions on what everyone sees and what you all think we can do to help her improve.

Thank you in advance for taking a look!

Kenzie_01.28.12_003 - YouTube

Kenzie_01.28.12_002 - YouTube

Kenzie_01.28.12_005 - YouTube

Kenzie_01.28.12_004 - YouTube

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Other than throwing the ball toward the plate, she isn't doing much else correct.

The very first thing she has to learn is to stay open when she throws. Here is Whitney Canion, who may have been the best pitcher at the 2011 WCWS.

116rt6v.gif

Notice how her hips are open toward first base (she is a lefty) and never close toward home plate. Her left foot never comes around.

The way you teach this is using "frames" A half frame: She gets on the mound, she faces third base, she spreads her feet, points her glove hand at the catcher, raises the ball straight up (to 12, as we say), and then completes the circle and throws. She does *NOT* bring her back foot around. Her body continues to face third base. A full frame: same as a half frame, except she points the ball and her mitt at the catcher, does a circle with her arm and throws.

After she does a couple of hundred of frames, then have her pitch, but tell her *not* to bring her right foot (assuming she is a righty) around or close her hips. She should leave her right foot behind her, just like Canion does.

The other problem is that she is way too far over her front foot when she throws. But, first fix the staying open and then you can start working on keeping her weight back.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
All I can say is the following. She is very stiff. My comments are super basic not even really trying to be too technical here. I am assuming she is a beginner from the video.

She needs to understand a basic line of thinking... Her body has to be out of the way of her arm circle.
Example: She raises her arms, then lowers them and stops all momentum gained by putting the brakes on and then throwing a pitch.
She also needs to get her hips open towards 3rd baseline in the movement in order to get her body out of the way of the arm circle as she bring her arm down to the point of releasing the ball.

There is so much more we could state here but look into some training videos and you will see what I am talking about. There are so many little things that when placed together make up the entirety of the pitchers motion. She first needs to get a more loose body movement. A lot of times you really must slow them down from wanting to make a full pitch as they need to develop some muscle memory on some of those basic movements that are building blocks to the whole pitch.
Some of those things to look into are release points, wrist snaps, arm whip, leg strides and more.
There are a few people on her with some good experience at this type of stuff and I am sure they will soon weigh in with some food advice.

Jun 22, 2008
The little hop and replant she starts with isnt legal. She needs work on dragging the foot away from the pitching plate.

Mar 13, 2010
All I can say is the following. She is very stiff. My comments are super basic not even really trying to be too technical here. I am assuming she is a beginner from the video.

This. Pitchers need to be loose when pitching otherwise it gets a lot harder. Very melodic almost.

You're getting some good advice. I would take Sluggers, she needs to open up a lot more first.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Quit doing what you are doing and make certain that the pitching instructor is qualified. Ask him or her questions about staying on the power line, and pulling not pushing the ball and do numerous Power Ks. Good luck, have fun and keep asking questions.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
ffrescue, I started with my daughter at the same age. I had been working with her older brother in baseball but I was completely new to softball. I had to trust the few softball experts I was aware of in the area. It was quite a journey to figure who was right for my DD.
There are 4 things that have made a significant difference in my approach with my daughter in the past 6 months:
1. discussfastpitch has been incredibly helpful. Not every voice is right for your daughter, but seeing them spiritedly put forth and defended is incredibly valuable. I am much better able to identify and articulate the good and bad about processes, and possible corrective actions

2. The Hanson Principle – Mark Hanson said, “Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”. That goes for pitchers too. I moved my DD from her first pitching coach when I started noticing the leverage and speed some pitchers were able to achieve that my DD wasn’t getting. I also read “Fastpitch Softball: The Windmill Pitcher”, by Barry Sammons. I couldn’t see how the first pitching coach’s methods could get my DD to a higher level. Also, I didn’t see any elite pitcher with the motion she teaches. We both still love her dearly, but we had to go.

3. Use of video – I have found that words most often do not convey the reality of what is happening to relatives and especially your own kids. I use my android phone to record important segments of her hitting and pitching lessons, especially when they demonstrate a drill or the motion. I record my DD. I also show her videos of the elite pitchers. My DD can see the difference with her own eyes. It makes a big difference. This is especially important when she feels that she is performing the motion correctly, but you can see clearly the difference between her motion and what good looks like

4. Tower of Babel – I really like analysis and detail especially when it is needed to achieve an overall objective. However, after reading, talking and watching a lot of softball, I tried to do too many things at once with my DD and I would give her too many instructions. Her pitching coach especially is helping me focus on one or a few aspects at a time so she can absorb the information and learn the new skill or improvement. Too many instructions just turns into noise and is counterproductive

If I had known these things 3 years ago, my DD’s path would have been smoother, more productive and she would have gotten were she is sooner.

Even so, these are the best times I have ever had. It’s been terrific fun and a great learning experience for both of us.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So something I like that you should not change:

- I like the arm follow through at the end. While it could be looser and even more natural I like where her arm ends up.
- her release point will be good once she opens up. It looks decent.
- she looks like she is athletic and is going to be nice and smooth as a pitcher once she gets it all together. I feel she may be being forced into a particular style which is why she may look tense trying to force what she is taught.

Of all of 2left turns advice, #4 is the most important. Work on only a few things at a time - don't worry about the rest until you move on from the things you are working on. Remember especially at this age that they are learning - it is going to be challenging at times.

(also the same advise for everyone on pitching: buy the Hilhouse DVD "Building the House" and watch the videos on fastpitch.tv. It is a good starting point)

Aug 2, 2008
Other than throwing the ball toward the plate, she isn't doing much else correct.

Funniest line ever!

The good news is she listens VERY WELL, she is obviously doing exactly what someone has told her..ie..slam the door.

Dont get discouraged just start over......windmills, windmills, windmills. Have her stand sideways on her powerline with her hips slightly closed, feet should be batting stance width apart. She performs 3 windmills and lets the ball go on the fourth one. Strong points to watch for are that she keep her arm loose and whippy.

A unforced natural follow through is important. When I have a kid without a natural follow through I have them complete one more revolution after she lets the ball go. example.

3 revolutions, let the ball go on the fourth, one more complete revolution after the ball is gone. All 5 revolutions happen seamlessly without stopping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole