8 yr old DD in cage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
lol......Bonds was a very good player, and even better when he found the cream and the clear.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Mr Hulk,

This is a great topic to consider....could a player like Cochran hit using any swing mechanic because she is gifted with athletic genes? Or maybe she has a never say die type of work ethic that just flat out refused to get beat....or maybe she has tremendous vision like Williams did....

Billy Beane was a tremendous talent, but lacked the will and didn't have the head to accept failure and learn from it....Lenny Dykstra, on the other hand, was of average talent but was cocky and refused to lose (reading Moneyball and Beane and Dykstra roomed together while in the Mets farm system).....

Mr MTS, you have a good head on your shoulders. I always enjoy and respect your opinion and posts.

DD and friends got me watching Men in Black 3...............continue tomorrow. :)

R

RayR

Cochran's barrel never lays off as much as Mann's DD....like I said....clean that up and who knows!!

Layoff_zpsa189c5dd.jpg

actually mts...when I saw cochran I thought of mann's dd. I didn't want to down load the gifs, so I was going to post them then delete...but dw had to use the pc "real quick"...we went on for a couple years about mann's dd...don't want to get into that again.

Sep 26, 2011
Wow!! I just checked back & this thread really ran away from my questions about my little 8 y/o's swing !!

Anyway, I appreciate all those who offered me advice. The general consensus seems to be:
1) that her bat is way too long/big for her -although I checked & her Tball bat was 25" 15 oz. so there's not much room in between...would a 27" 17 oz. make that much of a difference over her current 29" 17.5 oz.??
2) She has an advanced swing for an 8 y/o & I shouldn't nitpick & mess with it much
3) Maybe work on her stance/balance (any advice on this would be appreciated)
4) She may or may not have some bat drag (I don't think she does)
5) We don't know whether she can hit well off a tee positioned at her front knee (I think she can, but in all honesty I haven't really moved the tee in/out/high/low very much for her so I'm not certain). She's only 8 & she likes to hit BP way more than off a tee, so I get in whatever tee work with her that she allows and then do what she enjoys. I really like watching her improve, but I really want us both to enjoy the journey, so if she misses a chance to fix something but has a little extra fun, then I'm fine with that.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Wow!! I just checked back & this thread really ran away from my questions about my little 8 y/o's swing !!

Anyway, I appreciate all those who offered me advice. The general consensus seems to be:
1) that her bat is way too long/big for her -although I checked & her Tball bat was 25" 15 oz. so there's not much room in between...would a 27" 17 oz. make that much of a difference over her current 29" 17.5 oz.??

IMO, the 27" 17oz would work. It is more a length issue and the 2" of bat length will make a big difference.

2) She has an advanced swing for an 8 y/o & I shouldn't nitpick & mess with it much

Yes, do not nitpick

3) Maybe work on her stance/balance (any advice on this would be appreciated)

I wouldn't do much with her stance. Let her find her own balance and stance. I have seen many players who have their athleticism taken away by a dad or "instructor" from putting them in a stance that doesn't work for them. Everyone has a different balanced strong stance.

4) She may or may not have some bat drag (I don't think she does)

She does not have bat drag.

5) We don't know whether she can hit well off a tee positioned at her front knee (I think she can, but in all honesty I haven't really moved the tee in/out/high/low very much for her so I'm not certain). She's only 8 & she likes to hit BP way more than off a tee, so I get in whatever tee work with her that she allows and then do what she enjoys. I really like watching her improve, but I really want us both to enjoy the journey, so if she misses a chance to fix something but has a little extra fun, then I'm fine with that.

I will bet that she can and I bet she can hit the ball deeper then her front knee.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Compare the two at the point of contact.

Ruth gets considerably more whip than Cochrane does, which means that if he drags, it's not nearly the issue for him that it is for her.

Huh, you talk as if you know exactly what drag is and now you say, "if he(Ruth) drags". You don't know if Ruth drags or not?

I will give you a hint. Ruth does not have bat drag. Will not really a hint. It is the answer.

Are you guessing or do you really know what you are looking at?

Dec 19, 2012
Backhand? Unroll the fingers off of the bat right here at contact and you have palm up/palm down. Why do you see backhand? Click on pic for larger view.....sorry.

Cochran.jpg

Last edited:
R

RayR

Ruth's hands are slowing down at contact....probably was fooled a bit and knows it....ball is hit in front of his front foot....

Compare the two at the point of contact.

Ruth gets considerably more whip than Cochrane does, which means that if he drags, it's not nearly the issue for him that it is for her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1