8 yr old DD in cage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2011
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some ideas of what to work on with my daughter. The machine was set at around 40. Any constructive advice is appreciated. Also I wanted to know if the way she "lags" her bat in her stance is an issue. IOW, should her bat be more upright or wrapped instead of directed back. (This video is the first time that I am noticing her bat angle since I am usually facing her while she is taking batting practice)

Thanks!!

R

RayR

8? Awesome....leave her alone and let have at it.....set up is fine....she cocks her wrists before swinging....

Dec 19, 2012
Both GOINGDEEP and MTS are correct. Holy Smokes that bat is huge for her and for an 8 year old her swing is awesome! What length is that bat? I would love to see a video of her swinging a bat that better fits her.

May 16, 2010
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some ideas of what to work on with my daughter. The machine was set at around 40. Any constructive advice is appreciated. Also I wanted to know if the way she "lags" her bat in her stance is an issue. IOW, should her bat be more upright or wrapped instead of directed back. (This video is the first time that I am noticing her bat angle since I am usually facing her while she is taking batting practice)

Thanks!!

She cocks it before she swings. That's a great looking swing for an 8 yo. She just needs to get more consistent with her balance. But, that could be because the bat's bigger than she is. :)

Jan 25, 2011
Go buy her a 28" or 29" bat and with the smaller bat, she will look awesome with it. She looks really good, boy are they cute at that age. Amy is a good one to see this.

Dec 29, 2010
Great vid, your dd has no fear in the cage. Seen a lot of girls 8,9,10 that show hesistation, swing after the ball gets by them, and the dreaded happy feet. As other said above get her a 28 or 29, but no less than -10 drop.

Good luck on your journey, its going to be special.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Sorry I cannot give you something to work on other then what Jim stated. She could work on her balance but right now, I would leave her alone.

Pitch to her a lot. She has a good swing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Any cheap bat will work at this point. Let her pick a color. Do not teach her to choke up. We want the bat to fit. In her instance, it might need to be 28 inches, so don't spend a lot of money. Use the money on her batting lessons.

She looks great. I would love to see her overhand throw.

Oct 12, 2009
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some ideas of what to work on with my daughter. The machine was set at around 40. Any constructive advice is appreciated. Also I wanted to know if the way she "lags" her bat in her stance is an issue. IOW, should her bat be more upright or wrapped instead of directed back. (This video is the first time that I am noticing her bat angle since I am usually facing her while she is taking batting practice) ]

What she does is sometimes an indication that the bat is too long. The hitter has to lag it back like that so they can then pull down the length of it to get it around.

I'm with the others that say that she should try a shorter bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp