4-20-14 update plenty vids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I guess she will have to work twice as hard to try and break her ingrained mechanics.

Welcome to our world! At the rec level and at younger ages, only a handful of kids are working on pitching before the season. Once the season starts, there's a flood of parents and coaches that want their kids to learn how to pitch. The kids get a lesson or two then are put in the circle and told to "throw strikes," "play catch with Sally" and "just let them hit it." It's important that they understand it takes time to put everything together--not just the form basics, but even the rules, routine, basic tactics and responsibilities. Ideally it's nice to see a kid start in Jan/Feb and be serviceable by the second week of the season. So much to do and so little time...

Ken- you have seen me post vids of my DD since I joined this site last July. She started her HE to IR conversion at that time. She has pitched high level travel ball, non stop since August of last year. She is one of the most dominate pitchers for her age group. She cruises at mid to high 40's (45-47) and can pitch top speed of 50-51. She has mastered a very effective change up, and can locate her pitches very well.

She also practices pitching 3-4 days a week.

However, I know that something is missing in her mechanics. As rick has confirmed for me, that disconnect that she has between her upper and lower half, causes her to not have any brush interference, it is like she snaps directly in front of her torso instead of tight by her hip- which is another problem because she does not close her hip.

So, in spite of her poor mechanics, she is still a very dominate pitcher. I know that she needs to fix her mechanics to be more succesful, but there is no way that I can shut her down from pitching for a few months. She would probably lose interest in softball very fast.

Again, a big thank you to everyone on this site. I learn something new everytime I visit.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Work on it here and there. Sometimes the new mechanic slips into gear without disruption. For now she needs to trust what she knows. When the time comes, knock it out.

BTW, with a little tweaking, she's gonna see 47-50...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez