Fixing sprinters posture using the foot hyperarch mechanic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Wondering why you say arm speed maxes out at 14u and the rest from drive mechanics? Doesn't Rick Pauly say only 3-4 mph come from drive? (Or another way 95% from arm and brush combo)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
While we're on the subject, I would like to try to understand how brush interference is a key to increasing velo and if that's true why MLB pitchers are able to throw 100 mph with no brush interference.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
First thing to develop hip thrust is to see if the athlete is glute-dominant or quad-dominant. Try this assessment and have general awareness of how the athlete changes levels (for instance to field a ground ball).
<<< How to assess quad dominance? Originally discussed in this thread (link). >>>

Does the athlete tend to squat in a way that uses quads or do they naturally hip hinge?

A. If they hip hinge: Glute activation is ok. Start building strength and do ballistic training targeting the glutes

B. If they use quads: Start training the athlete to use his/her hyperarch (this is a long process but works) until their glutes automatically trigger when the forefoot/toes are loading (look for anterior tibial tendon to start firing automatically when the athlete changes levels).

<<< How to do HA and see it's working >>>
<<< How to train HA >>>

Also there is an index at the bottom of the original post to help you navigate the thread ;-).

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
There are a lot of step style pitchers who pitch/pitched at the D1 level. Here's one at Baylor.

Do you have an example? That link is pretty old and I can't seem to get a video to play. I can't find any clips of Liz Paul to look at.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad