3 ball drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2012
This is a great conditioning and mental toughness drill for pitchers and catchers as well. My daughters last instructor liked to use it as a way to tire the muscles out in order to begin teaching or reteaching muscle memory of a particular pitch. We use it now soley as a conditioning tool. (I'm sure there are other versions or names for this too)

This is a timed drill...with the goal being that over the course of the winter the pitcher and catcher to reach 3 minute mark with at least one ball remaining. It will take some practice and time so start at one minute and take it an increment at a time. Note: thru out this drill you will see the form to begin breaking down so they will need encouragement to keep their form as they fight to get thru it. Be sure to remind them to breath!

The catcher and pitcher start normal distance apart....catcher does not get into her stance but is in an athletic down and ready position.

Pitcher will start with a ball in hand and one in glove.
Catcher has one ball....in hand, glove empty.

"At the whistle" the pitcher will pitch a ball...
catcher will return a ball as quickly as possible...
pitcher gets back to her spot quickly and throws the next pitch...
catcher returns throw...
back and forth....

You want them to go as fast as they can while staying in control
. The key is for them to work hard and to really focus on the throw or pitch. You'll see them try to put it on cruise control to get thru it so push them when you see them let up. If they're not huffing and puffing at the end of one minute they are either in excellent shape or not working nearly hard enough...it needs to have some intensity. We are never after trying to hit our spots during this drill but we want them to try and keep it within the "batters box lines" but if a few are off thats just fine. I do not push them hard in terms of accuracy I guess.

There will be wild pitches and bad throws by the catcher so if one goes sailing past just let it go
and they continue thru the drill until one minute is up. If they lose all three balls fairly quickly I let them regroup briefly then start them again. We've been using one catcher per three pitchers.
The pitchers are lined up and ready to go....as soon as one starts the next one jumps in and get ready immediately....giving the catcher a tiny breather between pitchers.

As all parents do...I was concerned about her shoulder but she has never said it hurts or that it overloads her shoulder and I ask her all the time how she is feeling when we do this. Her instructor didn't have a concern with that and she said she used the drill alot in her throwing days. I don't remember the exact ratio but she did say that one 3 minute drill equates to seven innings of work...something like that!! Maybe not in terms of pitch count but more the physical aspect.

Apr 25, 2010
I can see how this drill would appeal. I would, however, contend that it wouldn't work with a pitcher who doesn't have a backswing. And honestly, if a pitcher goes out and throws for an hour, I would say it's the same amount of work as seven innings. Considering they don't have inning roll-over in order to rest.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
This sounds like a drill that will re-enforce bad pitching habits to me. If they are pushed to the point of bad throws and wild pitches,,, It brings to mind that old softball saying, "What you do in practioce, you WILL do in the game". I dunno about this one.

Oct 1, 2012
This sounds like a drill that will re-enforce bad pitching habits to me. If they are pushed to the point of bad throws and wild pitches,,, It brings to mind that old softball saying, "What you do in practioce, you WILL do in the game". I dunno about this one.

I hear ya AND I had those same thoughts when dd first started but it hasn't seemed to effect her that way. She continues to get better and is pretty darn accurate when doing this drill. Now here is a strange thing I have seen with using this drill and maybe you have an explaination for me.
I have two sophomore HS pitchers that I work with along with my dd helping...the last two Sundays and we wound up our session with this drill. So, on the first Sunday...Chicken (nickname) was stuggling terribly. It just was not her day I guess...now Tay on the other hand who is the "lesser" of the two couldn't miss. She was clickin' and they're both doing about the same routine. So my dd demonstrated the 3 ball drill for them...Chicken was first...she struggled a bit the first time thru but the second time she just killed it. She wanted to do one more and was even better. Last Sunday the girls reversed roles. Tay couldn't have hit water if she was pitching out of a boat but when she got rolling on the drill she did an absolute 180. She found her release point and spin of which she didn't have earlier. Go figure!! I am no expert but hard to argue with what you see. thanks

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
dd pc does similar drill she has dd try to get 10 pitches in 30 seconds. Her purpose is to try to reinforce the feeling of pushing back on stride foot. Once you land you have to push and go backwards to the rubber. Velocity definately steps up. she does pretty well with location.

Jan 25, 2011
I have to agree with crystlemc, if you don't have a backswing it would not work to well. Sounds like you could mess up your mechanics, like hal said, but if you think it works for you then thats up to you. I've seen it done with 2 balls, not 3 before.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I actually learned this same drill from Connie Clark back in her FSU days. It was taught to us, throwing ten pitches in a row as quickly as possible. It was a conditioning drill, designed to work on leg drive through the pitch. The pitcher would throw, start back peddling, catch on the move and immediately fire back to catcher. If done correctly, I can't see doing more than 10 pitches. It is exhausting. We try to do 3 sets at the end of workouts. The kids love it.

Jun 24, 2009
This is a great conditioning and mental toughness drill for pitchers and catchers as well. My daughters last instructor liked to use it as a way to tire the muscles out in order to begin teaching or reteaching muscle memory of a particular pitch. We use it now soley as a conditioning tool. (I'm sure there are other versions or names for this too)

This is a timed drill...with the goal being that over the course of the winter the pitcher and catcher to reach 3 minute mark with at least one ball remaining. It will take some practice and time so start at one minute and take it an increment at a time. Note: thru out this drill you will see the form to begin breaking down so they will need encouragement to keep their form as they fight to get thru it. Be sure to remind them to breath!

The catcher and pitcher start normal distance apart....catcher does not get into her stance but is in an athletic down and ready position.

Pitcher will start with a ball in hand and one in glove.
Catcher has one ball....in hand, glove empty.

"At the whistle" the pitcher will pitch a ball...
catcher will return a ball as quickly as possible...
pitcher gets back to her spot quickly and throws the next pitch...
catcher returns throw...
back and forth....

You want them to go as fast as they can while staying in control
. The key is for them to work hard and to really focus on the throw or pitch. You'll see them try to put it on cruise control to get thru it so push them when you see them let up. If they're not huffing and puffing at the end of one minute they are either in excellent shape or not working nearly hard enough...it needs to have some intensity. We are never after trying to hit our spots during this drill but we want them to try and keep it within the "batters box lines" but if a few are off thats just fine. I do not push them hard in terms of accuracy I guess.

There will be wild pitches and bad throws by the catcher so if one goes sailing past just let it go
and they continue thru the drill until one minute is up. If they lose all three balls fairly quickly I let them regroup briefly then start them again. We've been using one catcher per three pitchers.
The pitchers are lined up and ready to go....as soon as one starts the next one jumps in and get ready immediately....giving the catcher a tiny breather between pitchers.

As all parents do...I was concerned about her shoulder but she has never said it hurts or that it overloads her shoulder and I ask her all the time how she is feeling when we do this. Her instructor didn't have a concern with that and she said she used the drill alot in her throwing days. I don't remember the exact ratio but she did say that one 3 minute drill equates to seven innings of work...something like that!! Maybe not in terms of pitch count but more the physical aspect.
My DD has done this off and on for years as a conditioning drill. Only difference she only uses one ball.I haven't seen anything bad come from this drill. I understand if you spent half the lesson doing it it would break down some mechanics,but 1-3 minutes,no.

Dec 11, 2010
DD has done this drill. The team pc has mentioned several of the above listed reasons.

When DD does it, it appears she doesn't over think, I see good/better velocity/spin and accuracy to a point.

I also see better I/R peek out, especially way back when she had a Hello Elbow private pitching coach. That HE finish would break down and I could see that "pretty thing that good pitchers do" which I now know is I/R.

It looks like hard work but I agree that DD loves it despite giving the pc the standard "No! Not that drill!" grief.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
One could make up all kinds of crazy things to do and call it a drill. How about having the pitcher get on the mound and practice what they need to do to make her control and ball movement the best it can be? Reinforcing what they do right and correcting what they do wrong. There are no tricks or made up drills to getting better, just hard work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie