2nd chance or good bye!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
We had a player on DD's team this summer up and quit right at the end of a tournament. We still had a couple of tournaments left but her and her mom called it quits, thinking they were going to get on an A travel team. She was added to their team but never saw much playing time. She is a decent ball player. Now mom wants to come back to DD's team, stating she deserves a 2nd chance and it was a mistake she left. Mom is also one of those crazy parents I read about on here, daughter is the best, rest of team basically sucks. Funny thing is once this girl left, team attitudes went up.....

JMHO, but letting this girl come back sounds like it has the potential to destroy the team completely.

Jul 2, 2013
You have not told us how old the player is?

You find that many parents and players at 12U make a slew of behavioral mistakes. Many are impossible. Yet after 4years or so most players AND parents mature drastically. To throw out a player who is young, and possibly good, may be a mistake.

The OP's opinion of the situation does not sound like a coach, but a parent who may have a vested interest in the outcome.

Who knows, the player in question may turn out to be really, really good. Not giving her a second chance, possibly becoming enemies, may come back to roost.

Only the coach can decide. Does not sound as though the player talked about did anything blatant. Sure, she quit mid season for what was thought to be a better opportunity. It backfired. Happens all the time. It is quite possible an important lesson was learned, and the player could be more valuable because of this.

A second chance is easy. Explain the behavior change to the player and parents. If they improve, she stays. If the behavior stays negative, she goes. If her behavior is positive going forward, but the team chemistry does not improve, maybe there is something wrong with the rest of the team.

Some teams are happy being a B team, as long as all the players get the reps they want. To be on a true A team, most players have to sacrifice "something". Sounds as though this aspect may be in play a little on this team.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
It doesn't sound like she destroyed the bridge, but at the very least, it seems closed right now. I believe that time can bring healing, so maybe they can return in a future season, but based on your description, I wouldn't allow them back at this time.

Jul 2, 2013
It doesn't sound like she destroyed the bridge, but at the very least, it seems closed right now. I believe that time can bring healing, so maybe they can return in a future season, but based on your description, I wouldn't allow them back at this time.

Too many important facts are being left out. How good is the team playing right now? Are they winning more without the player in question? How old is the team?

The description is merely a parents opinion which is suspect because of omitting important facts.

May 3, 2013
The team is 14u and playing like a team without her (or should I say her mom). No negative drama. Did not make brackets with her, two 2nds and a third without her. Coaches did make the right call, opened the door to come to tryouts next year but mom felt she was better than that and passed. Worked out for the best - trust the coaches even if it does not look right on the surface I guess - lesson learned!!
Thanks all

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild