1st things first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2011
Looking for the first thing you would work on with a new student.
I know it much depends on the players current ability and mechanics, but what would you look at first on improving assuming all elements of the swing needed a little work?

Many would say the 'sequence' of the swing, or the 7 steps that Crystl uses. Then there's those that firmly teach from the ground up, as opposed to Dr. Yeager who feels teaching the throw before any mechanics are worked on & Howard who starts by learning how to use a hammer.

I have always worked simultaneously on hand path and getting into the ground or using the legs properly as the first steps. I have had success with this, as the kids have improved and see quick results on the field...and it does not seem to hinder moving forward on learning the proper sequence.

I, like many of you, am constantly trying to improve and learn from everyone/everywhere. I watch many of the kids I teach excel at the 'A' level, on some of the top teams, but I have noticed over the years there is some with the most beautiful mechanics and hit with great success, but......they are still not using their hands properly.......they dont get it, they cant feel it, and thus rob themselves of extra power, quickness, and the ability to adjust or simply hit the ball with their hands when completely fooled.

One of these kids is my daughter, and after years of yelling at her, "your not using your hands", "your not driving through the ball", "your not finishing your swing", "your nearly stopping at impact", etc. I have come to realize the importance of hinging/unhinging the wrist, throwing the barrel, or whatever you want to call it must be taught early on, if not FIRST. I've really had to rethink my whole teaching process?!?!?!?!?!

1st things first - LEARN TO THROW THE BARREL

Any thoughts or experiences?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I only have one "student" and it's my DD.From what I learned on here is there's no cookie cutter approach.Each student has different weakness and strengths.I would video them swinging then go from there.With my ''student'' I started from the bottom up.But from what I see is many, many players dropping their hands as their first move.I like and have taught my DD to throw the barrel at the ball by having her throw the bat.But she still needed to get her bottom half right.Then she need to get her hand/swing path right.Throwing the bat was a way off showing DD if sequence was right the bat should fly like a helicopter to right field(rt hand batter)

Jun 23, 2011
NC
I am with Amy I work a lot on learning to throw and understanding how to weight the back leg and then release it on the throw, after that we work on the sequence that Crystal and Howard use, from there it just depends on what they are getting and what they are striggling with.

Oct 19, 2009
If my memory serves me correct Howard and CB worked on the over handthrow/ proper weight shift first. Howard from his post and CB from a clinic my daughter attended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission