13 yr old pitcher looking for help, advice, comments?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
She seems to have been taught by an instructor who advocates closing the hips and finish in the "hello elbow" style of pitching.

One thing I noticed right away is she is finishing her pitch with her throwing hand to the right shoulder. I would work with having her finish to the left shoulder so she maximizes the arm whip (IR) going into releaae. Making the change will have her gaining velocity on the pitch. I would use Hillhouse as a good example of proper finish (among other things).

Also, have her stay open more, instead of getting into the fielding position so quickly (i.e. not closing the hips and becoming square to home plate).

Lastly, with every pitch she should be explosive with both the drive off the plate and fast arm whip. On every pitch she should be giving it 100%.

Overall, I think she looks pretty good, but could get a lot better with some key changes. Just my .02

Jun 13, 2011
Thanks, I apprciate your feedback. I tend to agree with you on finishing to the left shoulder but you are correct in that her instructor advocates the hello elbow kind of finish. I had her working on finishing to her left shoulder a couple months ago but she had a hard time staying behind the ball and her spin was more of a sideways spin.

I dont like the way her back foot drags like a "dead leg" or more of a bowling style. She seems to loose some explosion because of that. Also, where should ball or arm position be when her front foot plants? It seems to me that her front foot does not get down quick enough??

Any drills or anything to work on would be appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
she had a hard time staying behind the ball

She shouldn't be behind the ball. All of your answers towards helping her are on this site. Read all that you can about Internal Rotation. Please reconsider what your instructor is teaching. Is there anyone else available, in your area?

She has a lot of talent. She needs to click with the right coach.

Jun 13, 2011
I guess maybe behind the ball was wrong term. I was trying to convey that it wasn't coming out of her hand properly. Had wrong spin and decreased velocity. I have been reading about internal rotation on this website quite a bit and I think she does have some of the characteristics but I dont know where to go from here. There isnt much in our area as far as pitching coaches that are knowledgable. She goes to a college coach in our area who was a former pitcher who is excellent with my daughter but her teachings are not what this site seems to be about that is for sure. I have been the defacto pitching coach throughout the years like most parents by going on sites like this along with other research I think she has done OK but trying to get her to the next step in the improvement journey.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Try this if you do not mind, without a ball in fine.

Place your hand in the 9:00 position, arm pointed towards 2nd.

1st have your wrist cocked straight up, pitch and follow thru to your right shoulder.

2nd have your picky figure straight down, ball pointed towards 3rd, and follow thru to your left shoulder. Let your hand turn towards the plate when you throw the ball.

What difference do you feel?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2011
Lauren 1.jpgLauren 12 oclock.jpg

I see what you mean and I think my daughter does this naturally with her ball position when I look at some pictures or slow down video but there is also something not quite right because her release doesnt seem to produce the correct spin. I have a hard time getting her to feel what the correct release should be. I couldnt find any pictures just befor release but she definitely doesnt face ball towards second.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For a fastball she should not have 6 – 12 spin, if that is what you are looking for. It should be more an 11 to 5 spin, not sideways or she is losing power.

Jul 12, 2010
From my initial look at your video, I notices a replant with the pivot foot which could get called for an illegal pitch as the previous poster pointed out. Also, her glove hand windmills to the side which is especially noticeable in her "K" position where her glove should be pointing to the catcher vs. the 1st baseman. I'm not as concerned with her elbow finish as this will eventually not be on issue as she throws her other pitches. I know coaches use this method to keep a pitchers arm on the power-line.

It also appears that she is leading with her landing foot to get her open. Drag seems good, and it is hard to see what kind of arm whip she has with the video.

With respect to explosion off the rubber, I would prefer my pitchers to lean over their pivot foot slightly, push over then throw the landing foot out while pushing off of the pivot foot. Also work with the pitching coach to keep her glove from windmilling out so much which will cause her shoulders and hips to rotate before her hand comes through. By doing so, she will be able to stay open longer and keep her thumb on line to the glove.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd