13 yo DD internal rotation progress

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Thankyou for the great feedback,

She has very good location and has alway had the ability to lift during competition when challenged, IR gives her this confidence as in her words she can shoot the ball to the desired location as apposed to placing it there.

We rarely discuss speed, SPIN is the main mindset when we workout and play.... We know with IR if your spinning the ball rapidly the speed will be there and this allows her to focus on whip and relaxation as apposed to muscling the ball to the target which we see all too often. I use a cheap bushnel radar gun but only for velocity difference between fastball and change which is around 25 - 30 kph (16 mph)....

As far as how she compares to others well she is very modest but driven and has great work ethic......This is where she sits mentally..... her age group is currenty u15 and she dominates this and can hold her own in the u17 at 43' using 12" ball.

Her main struggle at the moment would be consistancy with her changeup.....she is working very hard to maintain arm speed for deception.....Im not to fussed with this as it will develop but she definately wont take short cuts just to throw a strike with this pitch.....

I Think we have been very lucky that she has developed good sound mechanics at an early age allowing us to progress with more advanced levels.....We are at the strength stage now and working on her big 3 pitches the drop, rise and change......to have total command of these 3 will help her achieve her goals....there is a sneaky curve for a rainy day and of course the fastball is the default.

Theres not much more I can add, we believe to pitch everyday and for long periods you need to have effortless mechanics with a relaxed approach and lots of WHIP.

i have included another video of her working out on her pitch repertoire , my other 11yo daughter is catching and struggles to catch her rise which we all know is not that easy... you may see some points to critique from this video. Please NOTE the follow through after IR has taken place.....this is something that has progressed naturally and helps her maintain relaxed whipping mechanics right through to the end of the pitch.... would love feedback from anyone else too.

[video]https://youtu.be/y-Pg46Ri8q0[/video]

I would say keep on keepin on mate! Best of luck to your dd!

Jul 9, 2016
test

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/p3oPBxu9XUDLO" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/p3oPBxu9XUDLO">via GIPHY</a></p>

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/xZwI6BzgsiEVy" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/xZwI6BzgsiEVy">via GIPHY</a></p>

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Love that resistance!!!
Does a great job in her drive. IR is good, but in my opinion could be better by allowing the arm to continue to rotate into a relaxed palm down position. Continue to build on that resistance into a controlled hip snap that stops at an approx. 45 degree angle. Do this by focusing on the core muscles. Look at Paulygirlfastpitch.com
Look for the video of Sarah performing the hip rotation drill with a rope slam ball. This drill will build core muscles like nothing else!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
The hand is quicker then the eye James.......

jheiag.png

Apr 14, 2015
South Australia
Love that resistance!!!
Does a great job in her drive. IR is good, but in my opinion could be better by allowing the arm to continue to rotate into a relaxed palm down position. Continue to build on that resistance into a controlled hip snap that stops at an approx. 45 degree angle. Do this by focusing on the core muscles. Look at Paulygirlfastpitch.com
Look for the video of Sarah performing the hip rotation drill with a rope slam ball. This drill will build core muscles like nothing else!

Thanks for advice James ....we have made it a priority to work on core strength this winter and have noticed a huge improvement with mechanics consistency which has reset her muscle memory for the better. you are right with her not turning the hand over, this particular video was taken in January and every now and then she would fail to allow the turn over. I have included a video compilation of the same time with her finishing correctly.

There are still times when the hips give and move past the 45 degree position, It is something that we are aware of and it is good for ZA to read it from other coaches. Like I said we are working on the finer points and hopefully as she gets stronger and fully developed we will see more consistency.

The front resistance took a lot of work, We were having trouble getting IR to work and because ZA kept leaning forward on the pitch it wasn't allowing the correct IR to take place so we focussed on front resistance/pushback. The best exercise for us besides sit ups was isolating the drive with the arms down at the side and exploding out with the lunge and using a pool noodle held in front of the face gradually moving the noodle back each time . Many reps of this and as this developed it helped the IR process because the arm was Isolated from the body(anchor) making it easer to hold the ball to the sky on the downward motion creating good lag and whip.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone but if you are having issues mastering IR then try focussing on front side resistance/pushback first and allow the IR to develop from this.

I must say its great to be able to discuss our experiences ,there are not many people in country South Australia who would find the subject that interesting. :rolleyes:

[video=youtube_share;yT7BeSwuPjw]http://youtu.be/yT7BeSwuPjw[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00