Need Help with the whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
Daddio, I look forward to following this thread as my older DD has had some of the same struggles converting from HE. We are back on the case full throttle now! :)

I think all of us struggle with getting our DDs to pitch with more whip. Something that has recently worked for my DD is telling her to be nice and loose, let the elbow start falling down the circle from gravity, and then accelerate through the pitch as the elbow starts to fall.

I can not tell you how well this has worked. Prior to this new explanation, I would always say "pull the ball down" and she would pull the ball from the top, tensing up the muscles and thus missing the whip.

The slight delay in tensing up the muscles has allowed her to "catch the whip" instantly resulting in a 3-4mph gain in speed.

Sometimes you have to find the explanation that works for your particular student.

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
I started my KK back in July it was a struggle but as long as you are patience it will happen. We however made a big decision to leave her team to focus the rest of the summer and fall to converting her so she could be ready for freshman year. We did not want KK to worry about the pressure of winning games.

I think all of us struggle with getting our DDs to pitch with more whip. Something that has recently worked for my DD is telling her to be nice and loose, let the elbow start falling down the circle from gravity, and then accelerate through the pitch as the elbow starts to fall.

I can not tell you how well this has worked. Prior to this new explanation, I would always say "pull the ball down" and she would pull the ball from the top, tensing up the muscles and thus missing the whip.

The slight delay in tensing up the muscles has allowed her to "catch the whip" instantly resulting in a 3-4mph gain in speed.

Sometimes you have to find the explanation that works for your particular student.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck