Need Help with the whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2012
Hi All,

A little about us. DD is 11 now. She started pitching four years ago. Of course we learned all wrong (wrist flips, straight arm, etc). I have been reading this forum for a while and converted my mentality, and thought that I could work the straight arm out of her and get to the whip, while still pitching in seasons. It just hasn't worked. The problem is that she has had decent success with locating her pitches and some natural drop and has pitched a bunch of games; but speed is definitely subpar. She knows it too, but it didn't show up in 10U as much, but last fall in 12U was when it really started to sink in that more speed is absolutely needed, and changing mechanics is needed to get the speed.

I started introducing the drills from the IR in the classroom thread. I'm not sure how quickly to progress from one drill to the next. On the full pitch, I can see on video that she starts to turn the ball just after we pass 12'Oclock. It was hard while she was still pitching in games.

DD and I have talked about what we want to achieve to get whip (ball up at 9 O'clock...), she is on board, and is excited to work on it. I'm sure I need the support here to help guide me.

I have some video here from this week. Please excuse the mess in the basement, I just cleared enough space for us to pitch into a net. Hopefully i can clean that basement sometime soon.

This is 3 clips that I put together at our attempt of the lock it in drill.

I'm open to (and welcome) feedback to help DD progress.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is pretty simple...

You do the drills until she gets it right, then have her pitch with the full motion. She does the full motion until she does it wrong, and then go back to the drills.

The complete pitching motion is the end.

Suppose the drills are A -> B -> C, with C being full pitching. You do A until she gets it right, then B, and the C. When she misses on C, you drop back to B. If she doesn't do B right, you drop back to A.

Rinse and repeat...for years and years.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Recheck the first video BoardMember posted of himself in the Classroom thread. Notice how dynamic and fluid his motion is. He does not start from a fixed 9 o'clock position but swings the ball up and back down loosely.

I'd ask your daughter to relax and let her feet and glove arm move as she feels the need. I'd also have her loosely try a few into a net with her eyes closed to find her arm's natural path, then adjust her body angle as needed.

Relax and allow whip/IR to happen. Try not to MAKE whip happen.

Hope that helps,
Ken

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
In the unlock, let the lower arm go almost completely loose as the upper arm pulls it down. Don't try to make IR happen--let it happen.

Aug 20, 2013
Just try and look at this as an evolution, not that you spent the last 4 years doing it wrong. Your attitude will determine your altitude.

Think of all the high level pitchers we know started with HE and now use IR.

I have found that when trying to correct something, I explain that it us improving on what we know, not learning something completely new. Starting over from scratch can be daunting.

But, since she is excited, half your battle is already won.

I am by no means barely experience, but it looks like she is trying to throw with her body rather than her arm. I don't see much of any arm movement when I watch the IR vids by BM. I may be totally off, but that is what sticks out to me.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

GG

Dadiox2
Check the second video.....her upper arm never makes contact with her ribcage side....thus little energy transfer into the lower arm whip.
Like the others have posted......backward chain.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Recheck the first video BoardMember posted of himself in the Classroom thread. Notice how dynamic and fluid his motion is. He does not start from a fixed 9 o'clock position but swings the ball up and back down loosely.

I'd ask your daughter to relax and let her feet and glove arm move as she feels the need. I'd also have her loosely try a few into a net with her eyes closed to find her arm's natural path, then adjust her body angle as needed.

Relax and allow whip/IR to happen. Try not to MAKE whip happen.

Hope that helps,
Ken

Ken saw what I saw. She needs to be more "fluid." I think the word "pendulum" also applies. I also think of a floppy spaghetti noodle when focusing on arm whip.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
With the ball/palm facing toward third base, from about 10 o'clock, focus more on pulling the arms down together, leading with the elbows, rather than pushing the ball forward. Be sure to keep the arm tight to the ribs and allow the forearm to brush past the thigh muscle... this small detail will promote the IR/whip action to occur naturally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32