Need Help with the whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
in addition to what others have said, and I agree with it all, I would encourage her to have more upright posture and try to get her not to slide her hip out of the way of her arm. Getting her hip to close to about 45 instead of opening more/bending a little to clear the arm will teach her the lower body feel that goes along with this part of the motion. You might be able to get a two for one fix while you go through these progressions to fix the whip. go 9ers

Jul 14, 2008
This clip was added back in November for clarification. READ THE TEXT..........

2w4xmqv.gif

Your DD is close.......Very close........

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

2w4xmqv.gif

Light-bulb moment! In doing this drill, I'm often all wrapped up looking for other things, things other than reminding them there is no pause and they start relaxed with the ball down in front of their thigh.

Always great to have the true gurus jump in (their posts are often not as frequent as some of us would like to see).

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
She is really close. When 'unlocking' it... firm up her front-side a bit, too. Tell her to resist more (left leg) and keep her ears over her shoulders... (not chin up, per se). You can see that the lack of resisting and forward head lean are causing her right shoulder to lean and collapse towards 3b a bit. Her posture should remain vertical so that she can maintain a feeling of her arm lightly contacting her side in these stationary drills. Could also be watching her release... which is pretty common in stationary drills.

Anyway... doing great.

Feb 21, 2012
Couple questions:
DD is asking me how much feet movement she is allowed to have in these drills? I wasn't sure if any was allowed. I let her drive her back foot on the unlock because I didn't want to upset her.

I agree we have nots of posture stuff to work on now. I think the hip/butt kick out is a new thing so we have to squash that. I never saw the neck thing until I put her on video, but I have stressed with her "nose behind belly button", maybe I will use that clue of ear over shoulder.

I don't think it would be a secret looking at her to say she it thin and might not have tons of leg strength. This is something she is also working on. I think she might be pushing 5 feet, and would be less than 75 lbs soaking wet with shoes on.

The great thing about this DD is her attitude and her commitment.

Feb 21, 2012

2w4xmqv.gif

Thank you, you are right, I didn't go back to the IR thread since fall when I had taken a few notes. These help, and I'm going to re-read it over and over again.
When standing in this position, DD seemed to want to have a wider stance, is this also an impact, should I narrow her stance up for this drill?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Couple questions:
DD is asking me how much feet movement she is allowed to have in these drills? I wasn't sure if any was allowed. I let her drive her back foot on the unlock because I didn't want to upset her.

I agree we have nots of posture stuff to work on now. I think the hip/butt kick out is a new thing so we have to squash that. I never saw the neck thing until I put her on video, but I have stressed with her "nose behind belly button", maybe I will use that clue of ear over shoulder.

I don't think it would be a secret looking at her to say she it thin and might not have tons of leg strength. This is something she is also working on. I think she might be pushing 5 feet, and would be less than 75 lbs soaking wet with shoes on.

The great thing about this DD is her attitude and her commitment.

Not sure what others will say but our PC starts DD with no foot movement -> just stepping front foot - > both feet in the drills.

But my DD is 9 and he's trying to get her to understand the feel of brushing the forearm on the hip and using that as release point.

The great thing about your DD having 4 years pitching experience and past success is that much of what she learned then will carry over and not need to be re-taught. What you are changing is really just the arm/elbow lead and release, everything else should pretty much be the same.

Feb 21, 2012
Not sure what others will say but our PC starts DD with no foot movement -> just stepping front foot - > both feet in the drills.

But my DD is 9 and he's trying to get her to understand the feel of brushing the forearm on the hip and using that as release point.

The great thing about your DD having 4 years pitching experience and past success is that much of what she learned then will carry over and not need to be re-taught. What you are changing is really just the arm/elbow lead and release, everything else should pretty much be the same.

Yes, that is the beginning of what needs to be fixed. We have other problems that we need to work on as well. I'm hoping to hold off until we start to get some level of achievement with the IR whip.
The list of other things are:
The drive foot: she twists it on the back swing during full pitch
The land: she tends to get a good 45-55 landing, but isn't strong enough to drive into it and tends to fade off to the right after the rear leg drive.

Now just recently with the attempts at IR frm 9:00 it looks like her hips are going backward (toward 1st) to clear the way, so we need to fix that now so that it doesn't get engrained in the full pitch.

I don't want to put too much in her head right now, but I also don't want to introduce any new bad habits while learning the new good stuff :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32