11 Year Old Pitching Speed and Accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
I always here in this forum about speed, speed, speed. I have a daughter that just turned 11 years old in October and she throws 40-42mph but can hit all 6 of her spots pretty consistently and also has a great drop ball and change up. We are working on Riseball and Screwball which she can do it just doesn't move yet until she does mature and gain more speed. Her screwball moves a little but nothing like a mature 14-18 year old. Am I right with this statement or should I be gaining more speed with her???

Oct 19, 2009
Age Average Pitching Speed Top Pitching Speed
10u 37-41 MPH 43-46 MPH
12u 44-47 MPH 50-53 MPH
14u 46-49 MPH 52-55 MPH
16u 50-53 MPH 54-57 MPH
18u 53-56 MPH 58-61 MPH
College 59-64 MPH 65-72 MPH

Some devices measure the speed at or near release point while other measure closer to the batter or catcher which results in a slower speed, so are you measuring speed at release point or closer to the batter?

These speeds I assume are at release point.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Really? Most of what I see on here is "Who cares about speed if she can't hit her spots?" And, "Don't worry about speed, it will come with good mechanics."

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Focus on good form. Speed is a natural byproduct. Practice good form to get control. Once form and control are decent, improve on these with core building and some speed work. At the same time, master two pitches (CU and DB to start.)

Jul 17, 2012
I always here in this forum about speed, speed, speed. I have a daughter that just turned 11 years old in October and she throws 40-42mph but can hit all 6 of her spots pretty consistently and also has a great drop ball and change up. We are working on Riseball and Screwball which she can do it just doesn't move yet until she does mature and gain more speed. Her screwball moves a little but nothing like a mature 14-18 year old. Am I right with this statement or should I be gaining more speed with her???

There's multiple mindsets. Here's my opinion on the subject. If 42 MPH is all she can hit with 100 effort because she's not quite developed yet....that's fine. There's usually a period around that age where they hit a growth spree, hormones go wild in their body and all of a sudden you get a huge strength/speed gain. What I WOULD be concerned about is if she's throwing 42 MPH because she's only throwing with 80% effort in order to be accurate. Don't learn to do it at anything less than "out of control" effort. I think it was Boardmember that said "Give me a Ferrari and I'll learn how to control it and I'll win every race, Give me a Volkswagon and I'll crash it every time trying to keep up with the Ferrari"

Do you mix in any Velocity training in her workouts? Long Toss, Sprint Starts, Walk Throughs, Fence/Tarp/Net Pitches?

May 12, 2008
Don't learn to do it at anything less than "out of control" effort. I think it was Boardmember that said "Give me a Ferrari and I'll learn how to control it and I'll win every race, Give me a Volkswagon and I'll crash it every time trying to keep up with the Ferrari"

Do you mix in any Velocity training in her workouts? Long Toss, Sprint Starts, Walk Throughs, Fence/Tarp/Net Pitches?

Exactly. Learn to be accurate at slow speeds and you have to relearn being accurate at full speed. In addition to the velo training FR mentions above, google and youtube search Jaeger long toss. Work on velocity the same way you would spend time working on any other particular skill or pitch. Always assuming your mechanics are pretty close and nothing hurts when you try to throw all out.

Apr 28, 2014
A lot depends on the team your DD is on/trying to make. In our area there are 12U teams that would love an 11 year old that could throw 42-44 and hit spots. Then there are other teams that she would not make with that velocity. It's about her goals and what teams are looking for. My DD is 12 and decided to play 12U this season. This will be her first season not playing up in some way. She had offers from a few 14U teams but chose to stay at her age. She throws 48-52 and can get to 54 once in a while. She is a heat thrower as most of her FB's stay in that range. She made the 12U team in our area that she goal-ed herself to make. I wouldn't get to bent about the movement of your DD's screwballs etc. When she moves to 43 feet those few extra feet make a big difference. How my DD got to her speed and continues to build is by doing long toss, plenty of walk ups and most times throws close to 100%. Her first PC was all about speed. He would have the girls throw at 35' then 40' then 45' -50' then keep going back until they missed the catcher's glove. Every Pitching practice over and over. He would keep detailed logs of their max range and it was amazing to see how quickly they were able to increase the distance. Once they missed that last throw he would put them back at their normal distance and WOW that ball would cook coming in. That was his focus. We left him as he was a HE coach.
With all that being said our team has 3 primary pitchers. My kid for heat, we have a spin pitcher with great location and a lefty. Our pitchers compliment one another well.
There will always be a spot for a girl with great control.

Last edited:
I agree with with those speeds from what I have seen at least with my DD she will be 1st yr 14u this summer and fastest ive seen her clocked was 58mph while trying to reach that dang 60mph hump, now with us focusing on the spins and breaking pitches more than anything shes actually lost a few mph and was clocked only at 55 the other night kind of frustrating but it is what it is :( on a positive note mechanics are good, just waiting for that last growth spurt I hope :)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
...now with us focusing on the spins and breaking pitches more than anything shes actually lost a few mph and was clocked only at 55 the other night kind of frustrating but it is what it is

Sounds pretty normal and definitely not concerning. If she isn't already doing it, fitness work can add a couple MPH. Core strengthening, plyos, stairs, easy weights, etc. (I can hit 58-60 in a walkthrough, but being old and gimpy--I with struggle with 55 in regular motion. I can feel the lack of power from my legs, especially with the 2 step.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez